ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > Question of the week

Notices

Old 03-11-16, 01:26 AM

Question Does God get tired?

Is that why He rested on the 7th day ?
Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature Matthew 16:15

Come visit us at http://www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 03-17-16, 02:15 PM
ILJ Addict

Jesus slept...God the Father? Certainly seems to have emotions and gets tired, or fed up, of human sin. I don't really think God rested on the Sabbath of Creation out of tiredness though, seems more like leading by example.

I have a feeling you have some insight on this Charles...
Old 03-19-16, 11:12 PM

Leading by example is a point we hadn't thought of thanks.

People weary him so seems he gets tired of what we do. In Isaiah 43:24 God says "Thou hast bought me no sweet cane with money, neither hast thou filled me with the fat of thy sacrifices: but thou hast made me to serve with thy sins, thou hast wearied me with thine iniquities." In Malachi 2:17 "Ye have wearied the LORD with your words. Yet ye say, Wherein have we wearied him? When ye say, Every one that doeth evil is good in the sight of the LORD, and he delighteth in them; or, Where is the God of judgment?" The word in Hebrew for wearied is yaga` which means tire or tired or t go toilsomely.

And yet Psalm 121:4 "Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep."

Old 10-05-16, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is that why He rested on the 7th day ?
Personal opinion. NOTHING is more important than the "Sabbath" - since it foreshadows Jesus (like most things in the OT).

The only Church that Paul DOESN'T thank God for, and isn't even sure that it still IS a church - was the church that was really "Working" to earn their salvation by keeping the LAW.

I think we BOTH know that today, even Churches who "PREACH" salvation by faith, still expect their people to PROVE THEIR SALVATION/Maintain it, by works (NO!! they'd never SAY that, but they do it anyway).

In the final analysis, JESUS is the Sabbath. We REST in Him - 7/24/365. And It's CRITICALLY IMPORTANT that we understand the HE DID IT ALL, and our filthy "Works" don't contribute to HIS FINISHED WORK at all - but if we "believe they do", and try to EARN salation - Jesus becomes of NO VALUE to us at all.

SO God "Resting" is simply His underscoring of the ABSOLUTE NECESSITY of US realizing what the basis of our salvation is.

The largest SINGLE issue today is that the Church generic really DOESN'T see itself as absolutely PERFECT in God's sight through the Blood of Jesus, and for NO OTHER REASON.
Old 10-06-16, 04:30 PM

Never really saw it that way but do see your point and it is scritural.

Old 10-17-16, 01:26 AM
ILJ Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carabbio View Post
Personal opinion. NOTHING is more important than the "Sabbath" - since it foreshadows Jesus (like most things in the OT).

The only Church that Paul DOESN'T thank God for, and isn't even sure that it still IS a church - was the church that was really "Working" to earn their salvation by keeping the LAW.

I think we BOTH know that today, even Churches who "PREACH" salvation by faith, still expect their people to PROVE THEIR SALVATION/Maintain it, by works (NO!! they'd never SAY that, but they do it anyway).

In the final analysis, JESUS is the Sabbath. We REST in Him - 7/24/365. And It's CRITICALLY IMPORTANT that we understand the HE DID IT ALL, and our filthy "Works" don't contribute to HIS FINISHED WORK at all - but if we "believe they do", and try to EARN salation - Jesus becomes of NO VALUE to us at all.

SO God "Resting" is simply His underscoring of the ABSOLUTE NECESSITY of US realizing what the basis of our salvation is.

The largest SINGLE issue today is that the Church generic really DOESN'T see itself as absolutely PERFECT in God's sight through the Blood of Jesus, and for NO OTHER REASON.
I don't know about the Sabbath existing before Jesus. Jesus is God. Before Abraham was, he IS (more-than-perfect verb tense - exists now, has always existed and will always exist).

Also there is stuff in Scripture about expressing faith through works. You know Bob I'm no Catholic but it's there in the NT.
Old 10-18-16, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
I don't know about the Sabbath existing before Jesus. Jesus is God. Before Abraham was, he IS (more-than-perfect verb tense - exists now, has always existed and will always exist).
The "Sabbath" was established after the 6th day of Creation. the "WORD" who was with God, and who WAS God (John 1) Existed from eternity. JESUS had no existence before His conception in Mary, and apparently STILL exists in glorified Human Form at the right hand of God.

Quote:
Also there is stuff in Scripture about expressing faith through works.
Which is fine as long as you keep the cart on the proper end of the horse. BIBLICAL FAITH will inevitably result in WORKS produced by the intrinsic nature of the Biblical FAITH itself.

As Melancthon said: It is FAITH ALONE that saves, but the FAITH that saves will never be alone.

Spurgeon's take was: Any "Faith" that doesn't CHANGE a person - won't save them either.

The whole point of the book of James is that if what you call FAITH produces NOTHING in terms of works or service, then it's NOT FAITH AT ALL.

Simple as that.
Old 10-18-16, 11:36 AM

Duplicate
Old 10-21-16, 04:44 PM

Default Helpful Verses to answer the OP Question

I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
who made heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved;
he who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, he who keeps Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.
~Psalm 121: 1-4 ESV

Have you not known? Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary;
his understanding is unsearchable.
~Isaiah 40:28 ESV

The Sabbath does point forward to that rest that perfect rest that is found in Jesus Christ, and thus has been completely fulfilled in Him. Hence the reason we are no longer under the strict commands of the OT Sabbath laws.

Here is a great article regarding the subject of the Sabbath: http://www.gty.org/resources/questio...ristians-today