ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Ask A Pastor

Notices

Old 06-06-15, 03:14 PM
Unregistered

Default I can't afford to go to church

I don't have real good clothes. They want money in the collection plate and sometimes want money more than one time. People say you need church but it seems to me like a club where the dues are more than I can pay.
Old 06-06-15, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Hello and welcome to ilj. No one should ever be made to feel like a church is a club they can't afford to join. It does happen but it should not. In we can read about Jesus feeding 5000mpeople all for free/ He never asked for money for any of the miracles He did and anyone who wants to charge for praying for someone or has an admission fee for their church is way away from how Jesus does things. My husband and I pastor a church in GA that we tell people is a come as you are church. That applies to clothes as much as to a person's state of heart or mind. People come in Jeans, tee shirts etc. and some come dressed up.

We take up offerings only on special occasions and no one is ever pressured to give. God loves a cheerful giver the Bible says and if someone gives because they feel forced to do so here is no cheerfulness in that. I learned that by sad experience when I went to a church that put a lot of pressure in about offerings. It is true however that giving is a way of putting God first with our money and of saying even saying to ourselves that we trust Him to meet our needs. "Give and you will receive" the Bible says so I encourage you to start giving. You may not be brave enough to tithe (give 10% ) yet but you can start with a dollar or a dime or a can of green beans that you give to somebody you know needs food. As you work up the courage to start giving you will see that you will start being blessed. Then give a little more and see that you are blessed a little more. It doesn't always have to be money, you can do things to help people too.

It looks like you have access to the Internet so you can look up web sites and Facebook pages for churches near you. See which ones look comfortable to you, which ones have pictures of people wearing clothes like the clothes you have, which ones may have a van or bus that gives people a free ride to church which ones have a free meal after service. Visit a few. Pray and ask God to show you which ones. Hopefully you will find a chrch where you feel at home.

The most important thing though is that you have the blessing of knowing Jesus as your Savior. Not just knowing Jesus died for everyone but knowing He died for your sins and that you can have Him living in your heart.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 06-07-15, 04:46 AM

There are churches like the one here that do not require all that. We don't have to go to church to go to heaven. All that takes is having Jesus in our heart as our Savior. That means knowing we like every other human being have sinned and done wrong and that we can't fix it in our own and believing Jesus died to pay the full penalty for our sin and set us free from it and telling Him we need him. You may want to find an informal Bible study or start one or visit churches till you find one that fits you. I have been known to drive by and take a look at the people and the types of cars and see if it looked like somewhere we could fit.

There was a time in my life that I was broker than broke. My wife and I were both out of work and just about didn't have rent money. I asked God what was wrong and He made me realize that I had not been tithing, had not really been giving at all. I realized that the only way out of this mess was to give our way out of it. It went against all natural good sense but I knew it was right. I started to give. It was hard. Things did not get better over night. But we did eat every day. We did get rent paid although we did have to get help with lights a time or two. But we made it. And we were blessed. We had been renting a rundown trailer and did not see how we were going to get rent paid that month when a friend who was moving out of state asked if we would take over payments on their trailer to get them out from under it. A much newer and better trailer and land that would be our own for just about half of what we were paying to rent the run down place. That was a no brainer. More so when they said they had already made the payment for that month. God doesn't play favorites. He will help you just like He did us. He loves you.
Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature Matthew 16:15

Come visit us at http://www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 08-25-16, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't have real good clothes. They want money in the collection plate and sometimes want money more than one time. People say you need church but it seems to me like a club where the dues are more than I can pay.
Yes you CAN - places that "Call themselves" Churches, but require certain dress, or Demand money for being there aren't CHURCHES at all - they're just "Clubs".

Of course here in the South (Texas) things are more casual. In the Assembly of God that I attend folks dress however they please, and nobody cares. When the offering plate (in out case the plastic bucket) comes along, I just pass it on, since we only give an offering once a month or so, and nobody's watching.

The simple TRUTH is that the DEVIL is feeding you this "I CAN'T" LIE, and you seem to be falling for it. HE doesn't want you in Church, and he doesn't play fair.

Tell him to stick his lies where the sun don't shine, and head out to church anyway, and don't worry about sticking anything in the offering. That's not what it's about.
Old 08-25-16, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Normally of you want to comment on something in Ask the way to do that is to copy the question or post a similar thought on the fellowship board so that those who specifically want answers from the Pastors who normally reply here get that vs a range of opinions (kind of like conversation in the pastor's study vs general talk in the fellowship hall) but Bob has good points and I appreciate them so going to let this stand as is. Thanks Bob.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com