ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Ask A Pastor

Notices

Old 02-08-12, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Default Responsibility?

How do you see your responsibilities as a Christian, a citizen, a human being? Several things have come up that have gotten me thinking about this. I'd be interested to know how other respond to them.

We know a pastor who feels voting and any political activities is wrong because it is in his view taking the decision out of God's hands. We know others who equally sincerely believe that if Christian's don't vote and share their political views they are shirking their duty and leaving the country to infidels and others who believe we should be on street corners demonstrating and everywhere else we can get proclaiming what they believe is right (politically not "just religiously") What is your view on this and how do you carry out that view?

What about when someone is not treated right and is not really able to stand up for themselves and get help? A man we know works in home health. One of his patients is an 80+ yr old man who is semi bedridden and confused. His son's did a short term placement in a facility and he came back covered in human waste and bed sores. Beyond cleaning him up what is the responsibility of the home care person in your view - minding his own business reporting, to authorities who can check others in that placement talking to the sons, or ? What about when a child is in a hurtful or dangerous situation- do you get involved and call authorities or decide you should not get involved? What if it is a kitten or puppy or a goat that is 2 days without food or water? When do you ignore things, just pray, add action to your prayers? How do you make the decision?
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 02-08-12, 03:27 PM
Old Greybeard

If we love God then within our realm of responsibility we should vote for those who will more closely represent our worldview. In our silence, in our failure to act as responsible citizens we become an enabler, and we are culpable for the results. An example is if we fail to vote against abortion or euthanasia.

Romans 13:
1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

If we truly love our neighbor as we do ourselves we will always stand and seek to protect the vulnerable. We are responsible to call the police when we see a crime being committed, for if we fail to act we could be guilty of enabling to criminal to continue to prey. Those who are the most defenseless should be defended to the full extent of our ability to do so. The Brethren of the beaten robbery victim in Jesus' parable crossed over to the other side of the road to avoid responsibility. It was the most Jewish despised Samaritan who stopped and rendered aid, and he was called good.

I reference that old adage which I paraphrase, "that I failed to speak up when they came for the others and there was no one to speak up when they came for me".

Create in me a clean heart,
O God; and renew a right
spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Nemo surdior est quam is qui non audiet - No man is more deaf than he who will not hear
Old 05-30-12, 01:56 AM

I believe that in all of the situations cited it is our duty, not only as Christians, but as compassionate human beings to take action to help those in need and do what we can to ensure that no one else comes to harm by the hands of those who harmed them. I could never not help a child in danger regardless of my spiritual beliefs or lack thereof. Also, I disagree with the pastor who doesn't vote and agree with Caretakers opinion in the matter of voting.

I want the world to know I BuRn for You!

Love is all around you now
So take a hold
And faith will bring a way
to the impossible

www.pumpkinbabydesigns.etsy.com

www.facebook.com/BrittanyLawrencePhotography
Old 05-30-12, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Hello Angeleyes It's good to see you here on the boards. Hope you'll stop by often.

I like the pictures in your site. The tutus (sp) are cute. Photo posing is nice I like the railroad track pose especially.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

Old 03-08-16, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Exclamation

with elections coming this seems appropriate to revisit

Old 06-17-16, 01:47 PM

Smile Responsibility

We are first and foremost to be good citizens. Voting takes nothing out of God's hands, since that would indicate that God is powerless in the affairs of man. I for one am not going to even entertain that thought for one moment. We are all called to perform our civic responsibilities, and perform them with all wisdom, prayer, and obedience. We are to pray for our political leaders, whether we agree with their politics or not, because they are all ordained to be where they are by God.

If it's difficult to follow that paradigm, then just use this: Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and unto God that which is God's...

Tags
abuse, adviocacy, caring, cild, elderly .er, responsibility