ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > Christian Fellowship

Old 08-07-11, 01:35 AM
Administrator

Default Storm Warnings

Some weather forecasters say that the same conditions that made for the bitter cold winter and scorching summer will mean an especially hard storm hurricane season this year as well as more tornadoes and other emergencies. Usually I post something about what we need to be ready for storms. You can read Caring Hands guide tio emergency readiness here http://caringhandsmin.tripod.com/id17.html but this year I'd like to do something different and ask people who have been through storms and other emergencies to share what they have learned is most needed and if you want some personal experiences, please.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 08-10-11, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Susan?
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

Old 08-10-11, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Me?
Old 08-10-11, 10:17 PM
Administrator

If u have lived in FL this long and in the places u grew up and have no idea how to prepare for a storm ..... or are u just in no share mode?

Old 08-11-11, 09:19 AM
Administrator

I believe that one of the important things seems to be universal advice to "hunker down." I don't really know if that means anything, but they're always advising it as they stand under palm trees with their yellow slickers blowing in four directions all at once. Additionally,fill the tub(s) with water. Fill all your other vessels with water. Battery operated flashlights and lanterns. A full three-day food supply that doesn't need to be cooked or refrigerator - including for your pets. A corded phone may come in handy if electric is off, but if your phone is internet-based (i.e Magic Jack) you're pretty much up the crik without a paddle. Mobile homes are considered unacceptable places in which to stay during a hurricane and people should find their way to the nearest shelter.

That's about it for now. Returning to my regularly scheduled school planning day.
Old 08-11-11, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Good been there and done that advice.

Any special precautions about tags on pets, taping windows or ??

What is the longest you guys have been w/out power and water?

How do you decide whether to get out, head for a local shelter or take off for further away?

Happy school planning

Old 08-11-11, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Frankly, we just hunker down in our mobile home pets and all. The church we used to attend had open house for members and regular attenders. It was a block building. But they turned away anyone in the neighborhood that didn't meet their requirements. That still bugs me.

The dogs have tags on their harnesses, but we pretty much all stick together while we hunker. Of course, we have fewer now than we did. It's hard to get cats to stay hunkered down in the hallway.

We did tape the windows with duct tape. The sticky is still on the windows. Best thing if one could afford it is storm shutters. Second best is nailing plywood onto the windows on the outside. Neither of those is possible for us at this point.

Twisters tend to follow hurricanes around, so it's a good idea to have a place where there are no windows or outside walls to hunker down in if there's a possibility of tornadoes.

I don't remember how long we were without electricity. The first one that came through, I think it was about 24-36 hours. Mom's trailer it was longer, but she was with us, so it wasn't a problem. The second one that blew through we never lost our electric. Our coop has their act together as much as you can in a situation like that.

And now, I do not want to think about this any more until I need to.
Old 08-11-11, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Oh, you know I forgot that the first hurricane we actually packed up and stayed with friends in town. We took our two dogs, and our two cats (which cats were relegated to the garage due to allergies among us and the bird stayed in the hallway at home), my elderly mother, and the home owners' dog, and the home owners' son and his family and their dogs. We went because they invited us, and we were pretty freaked out given that it was our first experience.

We stayed home for the next hurricane. It wasn't horrible. In fact, my friend really made it almost fun if fun there could be. My favorite memory was her baking Pillsbury orange rolls on the gas grill while the electricity was out.

I think I blocked it in all of the ruckus of the hurricanes and wanting to move on. But, yeah. That was seven years ago. Time flies. Now I really am done.
Old 08-11-11, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Sorry was not trying to bring back bad memories. Just trying to make ppl aware in a way different than the usual recitation of CH survival info.

Old 08-12-11, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Nothing here to be sorry for. I just have a bad habit of zeroing in on what might happen and miss out on what is going on in the here and now.
Old 08-12-11, 12:59 PM
Administrator

huggeth

Old 08-12-11, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Likewiseth.

Tags
caring hands ministries, emergency, hurricane, prepared, preparedness, ready, shelter, storm, storms, tornado, what to do