ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > The Doorway

Old 03-09-11, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Default Rob Bell

I understand he has a new book coming out (or maybe already out) called Love Wins. I've never read any of his books, and I don't know much about him, but the previews and the hype have raised my eyebrows. Anyone know anything about this?
Old 03-09-11, 05:58 PM
Administrator

I have not read the book but based on review I read sounds like a rework of ultimate reconciliation (aka no need to personally accept Christ or lead a godly life at Christ's direction) which is far from a new view and far from Biblical. However please note this is based only on what the reviewer says the book says.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 03-09-11, 07:57 PM
888-NeedHim

http://www.challies.com/book-reviews...-new-book#more
Old 03-10-11, 01:00 AM
Administrator

That's an interesting and concerning review, Don, have you read the book?
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

Old 03-10-11, 01:44 AM
ILJ Addict

This is a link to the promo video for the book (with Rob himself speaking):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODUvw2McL8g

So after watching the video (and for the moment, assuming I haven't read Don's link) I would conclude that Rob Bell doesn't believe that people who reject Jesus will go to hell.

Now of course I could be wrong, but to say that people have rejected the Christianity because of the belief in hell is a pretty strong statement, unless he's just voicing the situation and will answer the question. But it didn't come off as a question; instead it sounded like a statement. Which is pretty rare, being that most of what I've seen and read of Rob is usually ambiguous.

Like I said; he's either just setting up his book or he really believes that people are justified in rejecting Jesus.
Old 03-10-11, 07:25 PM
888-NeedHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann View Post
That's an interesting and concerning review, Don, have you read the book?
Book is not out yet and even if it was I don't like spending good money on trash like this if I can get it from the library I may, however Bell and those like him are bad news!

Last edited by Don Disney; 03-11-11 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-11-11, 01:08 AM

I don't have room for many more books. The only books I have are academic Christian books because schools have less a reason to lie and they are more educated.
Old 03-11-11, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Don I was not saying you should have read it and for sure not that you should spend money on such. Just wondered if it was as yuck as it sounded and NNL kind of answered that for me.

Old 03-11-11, 05:16 PM
The Katt's Pajamas

Meomy shehuman said she borrowed one of that person's books from the library.
Old 03-11-11, 10:50 PM
Administrator

recently?

Old 03-12-11, 07:54 AM
Administrator

I picked it up yesterday, but haven't begun reading it yet. Not the Love Wins book, a different one.
Old 03-14-11, 07:12 PM
888-NeedHim

Here is a much more detailed review that I have just started reading however this is a quick summary of it
Quote:
Love Wins, by megachurch pastor Rob Bell, is, as the subtitle suggests, ďa book about heaven, hell, and the fate of every person who ever lived.Ē Hereís the gist: Hell is what we create for ourselves when we reject Godís love. Hell is both a present reality for those who resist God and a future reality for those who die unready for Godís love. Hell is what we make of heaven when we cannot accept the good news of Godís forgiveness and mercy. But hell is not forever. God will have his way. How can his good purposes fail? Every sinner will turn to God and realize he has already been reconciled to God, in this life or in the next. There will be no eternal conscious torment. God says no to injustice in the age to come, but he does not pour out wrath (we bring the temporary suffering upon ourselves), and he certainly does not punish for eternity. In the end, love wins.
Old 03-14-11, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Srsly? Did he get that out of the book of Hezekiah?
Old 03-14-11, 11:05 PM
Administrator

yup ultimate reconciliation. Not something I would want to count on. Not as far as I can see in agreement with scripture. There was a lot of that going around about 40 yrs ago mainly seemed to be a comfort sought by people who had had loved ones die without accepting Christ. Falsehood however is no true comfort.

Old 03-15-11, 12:27 AM
888-NeedHim

http://www.livestream.com/lovewins this is the wrong link

http://livestre.am/F4gw this is the interview

here is a video of an interview with him that ill start tonight and finish tomorrow

Last edited by Don Disney; 03-15-11 at 12:56 AM. Reason: put in right link

Tags
blaise pascal, blood, church finances, hell, jesus, keith chen, money, religion, rob bell, salvation, ultimate reconciliation