ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Entertainment > Book, Movie, Game , and Site Reviews

Old 07-23-08, 08:01 PM
The Great Redneck Hope

LOL. I assure you, I have virtually nothing in common with the dwarves

It has been my experience that books that get these sorts of reviews are the kind that people read for emotional reasons and then claim that they've experienced God's Love through a work of fiction.

Love is not warm fuzzies, though. You can't experience Love from a book - Love is a verb. It's something that you choose to do. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. These are all choices that you make - and they bear no relation to your current emotional state.

So, such as it is, I may have a broken heart, but my feelings have betrayed me far more than my intiution or my intelligence.
Old 07-24-08, 11:35 AM
Administrator

There is much godly wisdom in your post, man of the plaid and flannel. From what I have read of responses to The Shack, those who are most moved by the book are those who have been through much pain and suffering--whether self-inflicted by sin, or inflicted from without from other people--or both.

Those who use what they have received from the book, but use it in the sense of a religious icon (an object to help them focus on what the object represents--as in the cross helps people focus on Jesus and what He has done for us) will most likely move on to establish a genuine, growing relationship with our Lord.

My concern is that there will be some who stop with what they have gleaned from the book, or those who may allow the symbolism and impact of the book to keep them from getting into the Word for themselves in order to go deeper into the relationship. The book is relatively easy to read, but it takes effort to be faithful in Bible reading, study, and prayer--all of which believers are called to practice.
Old 07-24-08, 03:03 PM

Default He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not...

There's not enough room here to respond properly to those who fear seeing God in a new light. These people avoid seeing Harry Potter or reading The DaVinci Code because they're afraid that somehow they'll be contaminated by doing so. The same holds true for those who pick and choose what character of God they're most comfortable with. Here is a link to my blog which will describe where I'm at theologically and spiritually:

http://www.journeytoseatree.blogspot.com/

It's not that I know more than others, I'm just tired of arguing with self-appointed prophets who feel called to chastise anyone who doesn't believe the same what they do (I'm not referring to Flannel in this post - his sense of humor is refreshing).
Old 07-25-08, 02:10 PM

Default Censored

Apparently my last response was too much for the political correctness police here. I'll just try my blog and if that doesn't work I won't lose sleep over this or any other topic people might choose to disagree with:

www.journeytoseatree.blogspot.com
Old 07-25-08, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amada View Post
I also read the reviews, but I don't let the reviewers do my thinking for me. If I am to talk about something, I need first-hand knowledge about it--not what I might glean from a few excerpts, or someone else's opinion. When "Sweeney Todd" came out in the theaters, a Christian friend of mine was all about going to see it. I thought it might be a good thing to go see. As I thought about it, the Lord made it clear to me that I was not to go see it. Later, I read the story line, and was glad that the Lord stopped me. I didn't make a decision based on the reviews, I made it based on what the Lord wanted me to do (or not to do in this case).
That it starred Johnny Depp should have been your first clue that this movie wasn't going to do anything for you. Working in the theater, I knew how dark this movie, and "There Will Be Blood" were. Neither had anything redeeming about them.

At the same time, I believe that a mature Christian can be exposed to crap like this and not have their faith shaken. It is human nature that when something gets a bad review, people flock to the movie or the book to find out for themselves. Every time Christians stand against something, everyone else goes and buys it. Perhaps that's because we come across as judgmental and devoid of love.
Old 07-25-08, 06:30 PM
Administrator

How do you think that Young's description of God's character is different from the Bible's description of God?
Old 07-25-08, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Well, I've seen my share of dark movies without having my faith shaken. But, when my Papa discourages me from seeing that has no redeeming virtue, I've learned to take His word about it. I did see Pirates of the Carribean, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Depp and enjoyed both of them.
Old 07-28-08, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amada View Post
How do you think that Young's description of God's character is different from the Bible's description of God?

I don't see a difference between the God that Young portrays and the one presented in the Bible. What I do see is a picture of God painted by Jesus that was different than the one people in the Old Testament used to identify God. Before Jesus came and told us about His Father, all they had to go on was a list of commandments and what they witnessed and interpreted according to their own understanding. They couldn't perceive the goodness and love of God or that His wrath over sin was not anger directed at the people but at sin's destruction of His children. Jesus presented a God who would sit down to dinner with you, discuss politics and religion, and who took the time to heal the sick, raise the dead, forgive the sinners and recognize the importance of one little old lady giving the last of her money to the synogogue.

Young has helped us know God's love better, and for that we should all be grateful; for if we truly understand His love for us, it becomes easier to love Him in return. That two-way love guarantees the relationship that God has always wanted with mankind.
Old 07-31-08, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Young's blog site has some interesting posts on it. Like these two:

They Brought Everything They Had

Part 2 Everything They Had

They gave me some tools for responding to people who disagree with me, and remembering them in tight situations really helps!

Tags
jesus, love, modernism, nature of god, post christian, postmodern, relativism, salvation, the shack, what is god like, william p. young