ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Entertainment > Book, Movie, Game , and Site Reviews

Old 05-23-08, 08:11 AM
888-NeedHim

Default The Shack

For a very in depth and Biblical review try this.
Old 05-23-08, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Is this a book you've read, Don? What was its impact on you?
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 07-02-08, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Default The Shack

Anyone besides me read The Shack by William P. Young?
Old 07-17-08, 02:01 PM

Default A life changing story

Absolutely the best book I've read since the Bible. In fact, I got more out of The Shack than I did out of the Bible. It helped me understand scripture better because it revealed the unfathomable love of God. Every person, believer or not, should read this book. It will change your life.

Now don't go off and start talking about false prophets. William P Young describes his own walk with God in The Shack and just because it doesn't fit another believer's experiences doesn't make Young's experiences any less real.

I found that I could not read The Shack more than a few pages at a time. God just revealed so much of Himself as I read the book that I'd have to stop and let what I'd just read sink in. I finished it and went back through the book with a highlighter and God spoke again to me. I believe that William P Young is just as annointed as any author of any book of the Bible. Great book!
Old 07-17-08, 02:07 PM

Default A life changing story

I don't know what happened to my original post, but I believe that William P Young is just as divinely inspired as any author of scripture. God revealed so much of Himself in this book. I read through it once, having to stop frequently to let what I'd just read sink in. Then I read through it again and used a highlighter. This is a life-changing book if you're interested in the depth and breadth of God's love for every one of us.

For those who think that God doesn't inspire writers any more, what a small God you must have. He is a God of Now, and just as relevant as He was at Creation. The Shack will make you cry and give thanks at the same time. A wonderful book! Every person, believer or non-believer, should read this book. It's my favorite of all times.
Old 07-21-08, 02:31 PM
Administrator

I don't know if I'd go that far, Larry, but I did get a lot out of it myself. To be fair, however, not everyone is thrilled with the book. This Focus on the Family blogger, Tim Challies, (who has his own personal blog dealing with Reformed Theology) for instance:

The Shack: Ramshackle Theology

But itís only fiction

Can God Use a Flawed Book

Christís Most Sacred Moment: Dismissed in The Shack

I've read all of those blog posts (along with the reader's responses) several times, and thought about them. I've read Young's blog, and his responses to some of the accusations. And, I've given away copies of the book--but always with a warning that Young is not trying to teach theology or doctrine. Upon a careful re-reading of the book (aloud to my husband in the evenings), I tend to think that a good number of the accusations are gut reactions to something that was not read carefully enough.

Anyway, I'm surprised--given the number of those books that have been sold--that you were the only one to respond. Thanks. What else have you been reading that is interesting?
Old 07-22-08, 01:10 AM
888-NeedHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry9179 View Post
Absolutely the best book I've read since the Bible. In fact, I got more out of The Shack than I did out of the Bible. It helped me understand scripture better because it revealed the unfathomable love of God.
That is sad very sad!
Old 07-22-08, 01:14 AM
888-NeedHim

I posted Mr. Challies review in this thread.
Old 07-22-08, 12:48 PM

Default If we base our decisions on fruit, Young wins.

Mr. Challis' review is nothing more than his opinion. Whether The Shack speaks to him as it does to me is irrelevant. God, the true God, spoke to me through this book and I am closer to Him because of it. No critic is going to tell me that my own experiences didn't happen. There are enough critics in Christianity, and few who understand mercy and grace.

I'm not going to start a war over scripture here, or the errors found in the KJV version - I don't care about straining gnats; what I do care about is that God revealed His love to not just myself, but to hundreds of others who have struggled with the idea of a loving God who allows us to make mistakes and do evil things. I care about changed lives, not activity disguised as service.

The very thing that Jesus lashed out against: religious people, is what most Christians become. It is easier for most Christians to believe that God is 'just' more than He is loving; that He says 'no' to our prayers more than He says 'yes', or that we somehow please Him by avoiding anything that appears to be worldly. Those people would rather be scared into Heaven than drawn there by the love of Jesus.

My own pastor has sat down and talked personally with William P. Young and Young admits to using metaphors to help us understand God's love. He never told us to take the story literally; but who here is willing to put God in a box and say that He never would appear in person to a struggling believer, or that He no longer inspires writers as He did in ancient times? Who here, that has actually read the book, still believes that Young implied that all roads lead to Christ when what he actually said was that most roads go nowhere? Why are we so offended if someone suggests that Jesus is for all people, not just Christians; and that Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, and tree-hugging witches can't have a relationship with Christ without first becoming one of us?

For anyone to be offended or threatened by the praise people who read The Shack are giving the book is pitiful and demonstrates a very negative and judgmental view of God and His plans and purposes for those lives. How many positive reviews has Mr. Challies had and how many lives has he affected where people are closer to and love God more because of his works? I believe that scripture tells us that we are to know whether a person is of the faith by their fruits. Drawing people closer to God is exactly what Jesus told us to do and William P. Young has a bumper crop of fruit based on the lives changed for Christ. False prophets point to themselves and their own understanding, so who should we trust?
Old 07-22-08, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Disney View Post
For a very in depth and Biblical review try this.

Ah--May 23--I was deep in end-of-school stuff and hadn't even heard of The Shack yet. Did you ever actually read The Shack?

Last edited by Susan; 07-22-08 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-22-08, 10:36 PM
888-NeedHim

No I treat books similar to the way I treat movies if it is someone I've not read before I look at reviews and I discern whither it is worth my time to invest in it. This book will not be making my reading list anytime soon.
Old 07-22-08, 10:45 PM
888-NeedHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry9179 View Post
The very thing that Jesus lashed out against: religious people, is what most Christians become. It is easier for most Christians to believe that God is 'just' more than He is loving; that He says 'no' to our prayers more than He says 'yes', or that we somehow please Him by avoiding anything that appears to be worldly. Those people would rather be scared into Heaven than drawn there by the love of Jesus.
Some Christians, like myself believe God is Just because He is. That is a plain fact. In my opinion to many people focus on God is Love which is also very true. Where people go wrong is they don't take in the God of the whole Bible. As far as Mr. Challies having positive reviews you can check his book reviewing website and judge for your self. http://www.discerningreader.com/ check it out I think you will find him very balanced when he does a review
Old 07-23-08, 12:04 AM
The Great Redneck Hope

Not read it. I have no plans on reading it.

All this luvvy duvvy stuff makes me suspicious.
Old 07-23-08, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Now, then, that sounds like something the dwarves said in Lewis's The Last Battle.
Old 07-23-08, 04:57 PM
Administrator

I also read the reviews, but I don't let the reviewers do my thinking for me. If I am to talk about something, I need first-hand knowledge about it--not what I might glean from a few excerpts, or someone else's opinion. Besides, you can pretty well find a review to support whatever you want to think about any given movie or book

In addition, I think that to be an effective prayer warrior, and witness, it is important to know what people are reading and viewing, and what other people are thinking. We live in a post-modern, post-Christian culture. The United States has changed drastically in the 55+ years I've been alive. Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever, but people have definitely changed. Their need to repent, and to ask forgiveness for their sins has not changed.

What has changed is what they hear when we give them the gospel. Many people will not hear what you have to say unless they have a relationship of trust with the person who is saying it. "The Way of the Master" emphasizes WDJD (what did Jesus do). What He did was to use all the means available to Him to reach the people where they were. He did not have one formula fits all. He did know exactly how to communicate with each individual. What I read, and what I watch is not primarily for my entertainment. It is primarily to have a better understanding of where both unbelievers, and religious people are coming from in order to speak to it.

Most importantly, I depend on the Lord to let me know what I should or should not read or watch. When "Sweeney Todd" came out in the theaters, a Christian friend of mine was all about going to see it. I thought it might be a good thing to go see. As I thought about it, the Lord made it clear to me that I was not to go see it. Later, I read the story line, and was glad that the Lord stopped me. I didn't make a decision based on the reviews, I made it based on what the Lord wanted me to do (or not to do in this case).

Another case in point: I know you were concerned about the book, A Generous Orthodoxy that I was reading. Well, I finished it, and found that it contained some useful information. But. There were a number of things that I disagreed with, and some things that were way out there. I thought to read some other things McClaren had written, but the Lord said that what I had read was enough.

I'm in the Word daily, and in prayer often--and I make a practice of listening for the Holy Spirit's leading. I have a few close friends who are in the Word, in prayer, and likewise listen to the Holy Spirit who have orders to pull me up short if they see me going astray. I have a good, solid, conservative Bible College education and my degree is in Bible from Philadelphia Biblical University.

I suppose, in a sense, what I do is something like what an owl does. Whatever is indigestible in what an owl eats comes back out, and is discarded. What is edible and digestible, is available for the Lord to use at will.

Don, I have a great respect for you, and for your zeal for the things of the Lord. You and I have different callings, but you are a brother in Christ, and I appreciate your desire to please the Lord with all your heart. God bless you, brother.

Tags
jesus, love, modernism, nature of god, post christian, postmodern, relativism, salvation, the shack, what is god like, william p. young