ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > Christian Fellowship

Old 07-05-06, 02:01 AM
888-NeedHim

Default Sharing your Faith

One of the hardest thing for me to do when I became a Christian one of the hardest things for me to do was sharing my faith with someone. One of the things that helped me was help was reading stories of other people doing it at The Great News Network.

So I thought something like that here would be cool to try here. Sharing how we share our faith, not to brag, but to encourage one another.

Check this short video out, it a short preview of a longer 20 min video that you can download(it well worth the time to download it) here. It shows how the biblical gospel (with a clear understanding of sin, righteousness, judgment and grace) brought an African village to incredible revival. Then the villagers go out and Spread the Good News.

Last edited by Don Disney; 07-05-06 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-05-06, 04:10 PM
888-NeedHim

Thanks to you that prayed about the witnessing booth for the fly-in. So Iíll do my best to express into words what went on that day.

It was a great time; God sure answered my prayers, to push me out of my comfort zone. I also want to thank him for a partner like Warren, Warren's courage was inspirational to me.

It truly was awesome to watch people become convicted of sin right before you eyes. It was also neat to see people come and want to take tracts.

The Soul Winner by C. Spurgean and I really feel the quote on the back of the book really sums up my feelings well:

Quote:
If you are eager for real joy, I am persuaded that no joy of growing wealthy, no joy of increasing knowledge, no joy of influence over your fellow creatures, no joy of any other sort, can ever compare with the rapture of saving a soul from death.

I can't say for sure if any souls were saved, but just the sear joy of serving in Christís army and for once fighting on the front lines is great. I've never been on my knees as earnestly has I've had to be preparing for this event. You see I suffer from a great fear of just talking to people, yet this weekend I felt none of that because God took my fear from and gave me the strength to sow his seed, I truly canít think of any better answer that He could have given me than that.

It has also opened other doors, Warren and I spook a couple of weeks ago at the youth group at the local Assembly of God on sharing your faith. This is even more encouraging considering that Warren and I attend two different churches here in town.

I was able to speak in front of my church a couple of Sundays ago, on the topic of sharing you faith. Which is no small feat since I donít like talking in front of people, but the following Monday I a call from the lady that runs the womenís asking if I had any tracts they could have. And Iím about 90% sure weíll be having a class this fall using The Way of the Masterís Basic Training course.
Old 07-12-06, 12:53 AM
888-NeedHim

Frist of all feel free to post your stories here, that what this thread is for. In an effort to share other peoples stories I thought I would share some from The Great News Network, here is their copyright policy:

Quote:
Disclaimer: Any and all items (I.e., Video, books, manuals, photos, tracts, stories, etc.) posted on our website or our message board, either now or in the future are the copy written and propriety property of The Great News Network. While we do offer some of these items free of charge to ministries and/or friends of our ministry and while we encourage the duplication and distribution of these items, we do ask one thing in return. Essentially, all we ask is that whenever any of these items are to be displayed or distributed to the public (whether on your website, in a presentation, or in video, etc.), please be sure people know where they came from. Do not use these items and then give no mention that they are the property of, or provided by, The Great News Network. For example: If you want to use some of the photos from the Evangelism Boot Camp on your website, then you should simply mention in a caption above or below the photos that they are provided by The Great News Network and were taken at The GNN Evangelism Boot Camp. You should also add our logo to your website and mention you are a member of the Great News Network. You can download the new GNN logo in the Seed Sower Essentials thread in the Righteous Resources forum.
Old 07-12-06, 01:14 AM
888-NeedHim

Default GNN Glory Story

Quote:
Saturday I was on solo patrol, so I decided to head back down to Riverside Park. I was wearing one of the Name Ten Get $20 shirts, which lead to four good witnessing encounters. I've uploaded the MP3s to our website.

Steven & Anthony
http://www.lifeanddeathmin.com/audio...y_07-08-06.mp3
These two young guys were wearing crosses made out of nails and Anthony had a hat with "Nail" on it. They work for a Christian rock band by that name. However, in the Name Ten Get $20 challenge, they only came up with two commandments. That lead to a look into the Mirror of the Law and I got to fill in some pieces they were missing in the message of salvation.

Tom & Trish
http://www.lifeanddeathmin.com/audio...h_07-08-06.mp3
Tom was a new Christian... only three months old in Christ! This was a neat chance to emphasize the essentials in the gospel and talk about amazing grace with justice and love meeting in the cross.

Faith & Allie
http://www.lifeanddeathmin.com/audio...e_07-08-06.mp3
This was a divine appointment with a mother and daughter. Faith tried the Name Ten Get $20 challenge. As we talked about the commandments, she told me they had just been talking about how she shouldn't be using God's name in vain. We talked a little more after the recording, and Faith said she knew God was trying to get her attention.

Arthur
http://www.lifeanddeathmin.com/audio...r_07-08-06.mp3
The volume in this audio is soft, but it was a great encounter. Arthur was sitting on a bench with his Bible. He said he's been a Christian for nine years, so I asked him what I needed to know to be saved. After he tried to explain it, I showed him how we share the gospel from a message of law & grace. We talked for a while, and afterwards he told me he was kind of lost and trying figure things out. He also said he was new to town and just happened to be at the park that day. Praise God for divine appointments!

Looking back over things, it appears God had a sort of theme going on with those encounters in the park.

Please, pray for the seeds that were sown this week. May Jesus receive the glory He is due!

Last edited by Don Disney; 07-12-06 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-12-06, 01:20 AM
888-NeedHim

Default GNN Glory Story

Quote:
As i walked tword the square my heart was speeding up, but I prayed and pressed on...I found a man sitting on a bench, looked homeless i thought, and began the conversation. I moved to the spiritual realm and asked what he believed about God...He said he prayed that morning, I said really?...He said he asked God "Whats it all about, life?" and God "said" I can't tell you. So the man told me he asked God another question. He asked: "God, can I have a million Dollars?" then the man said he was still waiting for the answer from God....then he got silent. So I reached into my pocket and pulled out a million dollar bill and offered it to him. He was amazed and shocked that I had a million dollar bill to even give him. I told him it was a million bucks on one side, and the other side was a gospel tract. He refused the bill, being homeless he didn't want another thing to carry around, but I went to some of the ten commandments. I asked if he kept various commandments and he admitted breaking them. Then he told me he has a friend who lives by the ten commandments. I said "really, but do you think he's kept or obeyed them?" he said "no, he really lives by them" (a block or two away was a monument with the Ten Commandments engraved in it. He ment his friend lives near the monument) I told him God will one day judge all of us, and asked if he would be found innocent or guilty of breaking the commandments he admitted to breaking: lieing, stealing, adultry... He was visibly disturbed at this point and I could tell he didn't want to go on. But I didn't want him to remain lost, so I pushed the question again. "will you be innocent or guilty?" He was thinking I could tell, but told me "I had enough for today" He didn't want to go on, but if you notice he left it open for me to come back another day. So I will.

God was awsome, and used the million dollar bill. I didn't use it this time to open a conversation, but after the man mentioned asking God for a million dollars, how could I not pull one out and give it to him? He asked the "million dollar question". It was the million dollars he had indeed asked God for.

Thanks and praise be to God
Old 07-12-06, 02:24 PM
Administrator

I admire this person's willingness to go out and talk with people but I have to wonder how the man might have reacted to an approach that sought to demonstrated God's love at his point of need rather than just showing him mhe had done wrong.

Jam 2:15 & 16 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

Matthew 25:34 - 40 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:41 - 45 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Sometimes the best way for us to be a living demonstration of that love is to give the person what they perceive that they need so they can know we care and Jesus cares. Once the need they know about is met they may be more open to think about other needs.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 07-12-06, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Right On !
Old 07-14-06, 08:30 PM
888-NeedHim

Default GNN Glory Story

Quote:
Just wanted to tell others about my story. The other day I was at work in a large gymnasium with about 100 excited children (I'm running a summer camp) when a Federal Express Worker stumbled in and mumbled that he thought he was having a heart attack. He sort of collapsed on to the floor. I asked my employees to get the children out of the gym and to call 911. I am CPR/First Aid certified so immediately I began to extend care. We could not tell if he had in fact had a heart attack, was having a heart attack, was about to have a heart attack or it was something else. In any case, he was talking and breathing very fast I put him a recovery position and waited for the ambulance. He was very scared. VERY SCARED and in pain. His eyes showed me intense fear. Then he began to say, "I'm not going to make it, I'm not going to make it." Immediately, I thought. "You're right! You might not make it!" And the Seedsower in me woke up! I began to ask him if he knew of Jesus and if he had asked Jesus to save him. I sort of went through all of the law. I asked him if he understood how much he'd sinned against our holy and peferct righteous God and if he understood his need for a Savior. He looked me in the eyes and said "YES!". I told him in any way that he could to ask for forgiveness and to ask Jesus to save him from his sin. He did so out loud. My heart was racing so fast. I prayed for him silently and encouraged him to remain awake until the ambulance arrived. As the ambulance got their he grabbed my hands and thanked me.

I was so anxious to know what happened to him that I called the local federal express office and they were kind enough to give me his personal cell phone number. I called and spoke to his daughter. He had a heart attack in the ambulance on the way to the hospital and had surgery. He's now in ICU and in stable condition. I am going to go visit him when he is moved to a regular room or when he goes home to talk to him about what happened and the prayer he said to Jesus. I've also started working on a letter I want to give him about God sparing his life at this time and what he's planning to do with it.
Old 07-14-06, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Amen! Praise God for your boldness to witness!!
Old 08-10-06, 12:00 PM
888-NeedHim

Default GNN Glory Story

Just a reminder that these Glory Story aren't mine but used with permission from The Great News Network.
Quote:
For months now, there has been one guy named Josh that has been at the square quite often when we witness and open air preach. He was a pagan, studied wiccan for 10 years and wore a pentagram necklace. He started out heckling us, then began to respect us because we showed him love and respect. He stopped the heckling, but still heckled other Christian preachers.

After witnessing to him all the time, and listening to him, he decided to give up his wiccan studies, stopped wearing his pentagram necklace and started attending a church - but still wasn't saved.

He lost his apartment, moved into the Springfield Mission (a Christian ran homeless shelter). There was a missionary speaker there. Josh was born-again that night. Sunday he attended a church, and just so happens (by the will of God) that it is where two of my team members attend. He started the "Foundations" Christian class.

I went with a Christian friend last night to a "Celebrate Recovery" meeting and guess who was walking across the street entering the building - Josh!! We shook hands and hug. He said, "I hear I'm the 'Friendly Pagan'?" hehe - That is how I referred to Josh in my newletter and to my team members before he was saved. He thought that was funny. God is working it so that we have contact with him.

He was worshipping and praising God in the service!! He was raising his hands and singing to God. He said the praise and worship is better than any kind of drug that he has ever done. He is trying to get into a year long Christian class at the mission, and he is also considering becoming a missionary. Praise God!!!!!

Don't give up on people you are witnessing to...even when it appears there is no way they will be saved. I didn't think I would be standing side by side with the heathen, pagan, wiccan studying, pentagram wearing heckler - worshipping and praising God!! But it happened.
Praise God!
Old 08-10-06, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Great reminder not to always be confrontational and not to give up.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

Old 08-10-06, 08:50 PM
888-NeedHim

I'm not sure I see what is wrong with being confrontational. Keep in mind I don't mean rude, but what is wrong with being direct and not beating around the bush. These guys were open air preaching after all, they just were not using "shock and awe" style preaching, but I'd be willing to bet they were being straight forward.
Old 08-10-06, 09:15 PM
Administrator

I define confrontational as an in your face the clash of forces or ideas with an element of conflict. Something more than just being open, honest, and direct. More like picking a fight.

I also did not say confrontational is always wrong. I said that your story showed that there were times when the approach that those guys seemed to have used - making friends, building a relationship- is more effective. I thought they used such an approach because of what was said
Quote:
then began to respect us because we showed him love and respect. He stopped the heckling, but still heckled other Christian preachers.

After witnessing to him all the time, and listening to him,

Old 08-16-06, 12:09 PM
888-NeedHim

Default GNN Glory Story

Quote:
Homeless outreach update! (Salvation)
08/12/06 at 19:05:20 Quote
A group of saints along with myself have been doing a homeless outreach in inner city Detroit's infamous Cass Corridor - the heart of this sin-sick city's darkness. We set up our food and grills in a park where the homeless gather, and call them over. Then we hold them in line, preach the Word hot and strong, then feed them. There has been TONS of fruit to the glory of God!

One of our recent converts is a man named Craig. Here's a testimony about him from our current newsletter:

"Earlier that same day, Craig was looking over the edge of Belle Isle Bridge, contemplating suicide. He had no hope. Helplessly addicted to drugs and alcohol, with no income, no home, and no family or friends, death would be a sweet release from the terrible pain of his life. Rather than jumping, he asked the Lord that if there was any hope for him at all, to lead him to the people who could help. Later that same day, Craig stumbled into Cass Park where we were ministering. Needless to say, he heard the Good News of Jesus Christ as a couple brothers ministered to him. After a long period of discussion and ministering, this was the result:

Craig gloriously repented of his sins and dedicated his life to the Lord Jesus! He was instantaneously delivered from bondage to alcohol, *****ettes, and heavy drugs. He later testified how the burden of sin lifted off his shoulders miraculously and instantly like the weight of the world dissapearing. We have been discipling Craig and he is still clean over a month later. He has been constantly hungering and thirsting after the Word and eagerly asking many questions and growing in the knowledge of Christ. Recently, he stood up in our Open Air meeting and gave his testimony (even though he was very nervous!!!)!!!! You can see part of it at the very end of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QznOLLczBlc . (By the way, the lady singing "Amazing Grace" at the beginning of this video was also set free and brought into the life of Christ just about a month before this video was taken!) Praise be to the Lamb of God forever!

This is just one of many testimonies! Glory to God! The poor have the Gospel preached to them in the name of Jesus. Saints, I encourage you ALL to start a ministry to the poor. You'll never be more blessed. They are so much more open to the Gospel than many others. God bless you all.

UPDATE: We just talked to Craig and he now has a FULL TIME JOB and a place to live!!!
Old 08-16-06, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Hallaujah!

Tags
humility, jesus, love, salvation, witnessing