ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > Question of the week

Notices

Old 08-19-16, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Question life scriptures

Some people say there is one or possibly 2 scriptures that set forth God's pattern for their lives.. Is there such scripture for you? Which one and how does it guide or describe your life?
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 08-21-16, 01:14 AM
ILJ Addict

there are actually quite a few for me. When Jesus summarizes the ten commandments as 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your mind, and all your strength, and love your neighbour as yourself' - that's a huge one for me. I treat the interpretation of neighbour as being 'your fellow man' not just literal neighbours - partly because I believe we should treat people as neighbours as that's a good way to treat people.

In the Gospel of John I think it is, which talks more about love than the other gospels - God described as love and light is also a big one for me. Also 'faith, hope and love (charity), but the greatest of these is love (charity)' - that's a huge one for me. I'm not sure if you understand some of the music I'm into Ann but there's a song by Brian Molko which is literally about Jesus where he sings 'but love...love is money b*****d, so like Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, give it all away'. It makes me think of that scripture because he's trying to be provocative in calling love money which on the face of it makes no sense because money is so far removed from God and I'm convinced through the 1000 year reign there will be no money under Jesus, but then he's illustrating how love can be money if it's given away - charity! that's his point after all. and then singing how Jesus would give it all away, which I imagine is exactly what Jesus did before he embarked on his ministry. Jesus there telling the rich guy (the Scripture earlier in my post about the summary of 10 commandments into 2 commandments happens just before) that if he wants to be perfect, sell all he has and give to the poor.

That's my favourite Placebo song. It emphasized for me that despite appearances Brian Molko really is a closet Christian, which you can hear in some of his other work too. And in a way I prefer that to the more obvious Christian music, I don't know I don't really like a lot of it because it reminds me of the pigeon sellers Jesus kicked out of the temple. mewithoutYou (Y deliberately capitalized there) call themselves a 'rock band who are Christians' rather than a Christian rock band. I like that because they're not using God to make money. they're not to everyone's taste and the lead singer's a bit nuts, but i can empathize with that.

and it would be nice if closet Christians shared their beliefs more, but Lord knows I have trouble doing that.

finally the line in Revelation which condemns Satan as the accuser speaks to me. i have a tendency to accuse too quickly and it's a reminder to not be like that.
Old 08-21-16, 01:16 AM
ILJ Addict

how about you?
Old 08-21-16, 01:37 AM
ILJ Addict

oh yeah, and i'm not actually into Marilyn Manson at all - i knew a guy on another forum who i knew was a Christian who was into him, i think it was him who told me about the singer saying 'Jesus was the first celebrity'. The one thing I will say about Marilyn Manson though is I could tell from the 'Personal Jesus' video that some of his shock stuff is actually a statement about the fact there's so much money made off Jesus in the US. art doesn't have to be literal, and I'm not trying to criticize America at all - I'm happy with how the Cold War turned out given that Communism is literally godless, and in general I'd actually be a strong supporter of the US even though I've often come across negative sentiment. including supporting the troops!

it's just what do you do now, there's Hillary defending abortion in any circumstances which i definitely don't agree with, and Trump acting like he's a circus ringleader. i think overall I'd prefer Trump.
Old 08-22-16, 02:04 AM
Administrator

can you post a link to some of the music you mentioned?
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

Old 08-22-16, 02:47 AM
Administrator

When I first came back to the Lord as an adult I had just graduated from college and had several ideas about job possibilities and things to persue. No pressure to go find something fast bec I still had the job with which I ad worked my way through bit was looking forward to something else (anything else). Most of all I wanted to know what God wanted. I was waiting for church to start and randomly opened my Bible to Proverbs 19:17 "He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again." and I knew absolutely and for sure that while working with state welfare was not my dream job it was my net assignment. I did not know yet that his was to be the pattern of my life even to God using us to do Caring Hands Ministries. I am not a fan of randomly opening the word looking for answers and was not particularly looking for answers at that second but it burned out of the page into my being.

As life went in and the courses in the school of hard knocks got more challenging Psalm 119:165 "Great peace have they who love thy law and nothing shall offend them" was added in and them more strongly Matthew 5:44 " But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;" the next verse explains why we are to do this tho it is not part of the written on my heart in fire. "That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." For me God explained it very simply and has re re re explained it many times if you are goung to survive with any degree of sanity you will do this otherwise you will be a mess of hate and bitterness worse than the ones who hurt you.

Old 08-22-16, 09:58 AM
ILJ Addict

Yeah, Matthew 5:44 always made a lot of sense to me too. Here's a youtube link to Placebo song 'Time is Money', hope there's nothing there that breaks the rules...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X-f9mWtroI
Old 08-22-16, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Thanks. Not my style exactly but yeah I see the point u r making

Old 09-07-16, 08:50 PM
ILJ Addict

Here's one of my fave songs from mewithoutYou:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4g-3WRXIts
Old 09-07-16, 10:35 PM
Administrator

I like the tune the words may take a while

Old 09-07-16, 11:13 PM
ILJ Addict

Lightbulb

in a sweater poorly knit and an unsuspecting smile - Moses mother was 'just a jew' in the days of the egyptians. unsuspecting smile, didn't know what God had in store for him.

little moses drifts downstream in the Nile

a fumbling reply, an awkward rigid laugh - Moses didn't like public speaking

I'm carried helpless by my floating basket raft

your flavor in my mind goes back and forth between
sweeter than any wine as bitter as mustard greens
and it's light and dark as honeydew and pompernickel bread
the trap I set for you seems to have caught my leg instead!

go plow some other field and try and forget your name
we'll see what harvest yields, and, supposing I'd do the same
I planted rows of peas by the first week of July
they should have come up to my knees
but they were maybe ankle high - things don't always go as planned. God's will.

take your fingers from your flute to weave your colored yarns
and boil down your fruit to preserves in mason jars
but now the books are overdue (- not enough people have Bibles) and the goats are underfed

you're a door without a key, a field without a fence - God is open to all

you made a holy fool of me and I've thanked you ever since. - God has humbled him and he's grateful

and if she comes circling back we'll end where we begun
like two pennies on the train track the train crushing the one - he was in love with a girl who wasn't Christian

or if I'm a crown without a king, if I'm a broke and open seal
if I come without a thing, and I come with all I need - waiting for Jesus

no boat out of the blue, no place to rest your head, - Jesus had nowhere to lay his head down (foxes have their holes, birds have their nests etc.)

I do not exist only You exist - we all only exist in that we're part of God, God is in us.
Old 09-08-16, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann View Post
Some people say there is one or possibly 2 scriptures that set forth God's pattern for their lives.. Is there such scripture for you? Which one and how does it guide or describe your life?
Thinking of the faith aspects of life - back in '61, or so - I was just out of the Psych ward at mass General after what was called then a "Nervous breakdown". And I was a mess - hopeless, unmotivated, and terminally depressed (all the psych ward did was introduce me to Thorazene, which only made things worse).

So after some months, I decided to leave home, and travel 1800 miles to Houston, TX (because things were supposedly "Better" there). I was going with a couple of equally aimless folks, in my '47 Buick.

And my Mother who had been a long time Billy Graham supporter got a little tract called the "prayer of commitment" based on Ps 37:5 Psa 37:5 Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

And so, in FAITH - she committed me to the Lord, and let me go -

And about 5 weeks later I was saved, and things were O.K.

53 years later, they still are, and I remember that "Prayer of Commitment" that I use these days myself.

"Word of Faith" folks are always saying that we need to Visualize, and CLAIM, and "Profess" and do all sorts of Presumptuous stuff to receive what God "has for us".

But in the final analysis, if God has everything under control, and Loves us, seems like I DON'T have to tell HIM what I need - HE's already there lining up what's needed.
Old 09-09-16, 03:40 PM
Administrator

amen I remember Wade Taylor founder of Pinecrest Bible Training Center saying that the enemy would like to block us from knowing the word and sound doctrine but can not so he instead exaggerates it till it becomes unsound. He compared it to a pendulum where center is balances and swings to eother side can be out of balance. WOF was strong and true at the start. If God said it it is do, That is truth. However of we read it into what God said because we want it that way it is not necessarily true. God's promises often have conditions and specifics tho many are true for all. Commit thy way unto the Lord and He will bring it t pass being one but the commitment does need to be real not just mouth sound. WOF is an ouch for me bec I know much of the basic is true and yet I watched one of the strongest and most word saturated ppl I know die of WOF poisoning specifically refusing to get certain symptoms checked till they had taken over her body. Even them I think there could have been healing if she had been able to admit it was needed and not felt forces to claim it was already tehre I don't know. It's been 20 yrs and still miss her. Know she is with Jesus and far better off so I guess the missing is selfish.

Old 09-09-16, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann View Post
WOF was strong and true at the start. If God said it it is do, That is truth.
Absolutely!

Quote:
WOF is an ouch for me bec I know much of the basic is true and yet I watched one of the strongest and most word saturated ppl I know die of WOF poisoning specifically refusing to get certain symptoms checked till they had taken over her body. Even them I think there could have been healing if she had been able to admit it was needed and not felt forces to claim it was already tehre I don't know. It's been 20 yrs and still miss her. Know she is with Jesus and far better off so I guess the missing is selfish.
But completely normal - If Romans 8:28-30 is true, then it ALL has it's formative purpose in HIS economy.

We had a case in Wapakoneta, OH where an Extension of Hobart Freeman's church was teaching, and a man's son got sick, and the church and the family "Claimed his healing", but he got progressively worse, until the father rushed him to the hospital - too late. And then the church accused the father of murdering his son with his "Lack of Faith". In fact dad NEVER HAD FAITH AT ALL - just "Peer Pressure", and a false belief in a DANGEROUS Theology that he held on to a little too long.

THERE IS a GENUINE "Word of Faith" examples of it are all over the Bible Old AND New Testaments. BUT but 99% of what the Visible Church CALLS "Faith" is nothing more than "Presumption". If you're not moving on what you KNOW TO BE God's WORD TO YOU - you've got nothing. Biblical FAITH has to meet the criteria in Heb 11:1.

In "Pilgrim's Progress", in the "Valley of the Shadow of Death", on One side of the path, there was an endless Quagmire, which Bunyan equated with "Frustration" and "Despair" that one could get caught in. On the OTHER side of the Path, however, was a Sheer cliff with no bottom in sight, which Bunyan equated with "Presumption".

Last edited by Bob Carabbio; 09-09-16 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-10-16, 03:47 PM
Administrator

It seems to me that part of the answer is in John 5 specifically verses 19 and 30. 19:Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

30: I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

That it is the seeing and hearing the Father do it that moves us from hope so want so ought to be ale to believe so to is so. Certainly every written word is true and I am not looking for excuses why so and so does not happen simply acknowledging that our human understanding has limitations.