ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > Question of the week

Notices

Old 12-13-15, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Default youversion of Bible

what do you know about this app? http://www.breakingchristiannews.com....html?ID=17202

Is it an accurate translation? Does it change basic and important things?

Really hoping it is a good one but have only read about it not seen it.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 12-14-15, 03:04 PM
ILJ Addict

Sounds like it offers a few different versions and covers a load of languages. Doesn't sound like a new version or anything if that's what you're asking. Or do you mean is it being translated well into all the different languages? Not sure how much help I can be there as I only speak 2 and 2 halves languages.
Old 12-14-15, 04:29 PM
Administrator

I know it is an App and was thinking of getting it given that I only speak 1 and 1/8 language and only read 1 and a half and a quarter my main concern is accuracy of English, French, and Spanish versions mainly English. I looked useful but I know that some translations leave out or add in some pretty important things after that it will be is it easy to use on cell phone. I like blueletterbible on computer but in cell it is a super major pain.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

Old 12-19-15, 12:11 PM

I never heard of it but it does sound interesting!
Old 06-16-16, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann View Post
what do you know about this app? http://www.breakingchristiannews.com....html?ID=17202

Really hoping it is a good one but have only read about it not seen it.
A really interesting question. I began my Christian walk with the NKJV which is still my favorite, then acquired a Greek/English interlinear NIV, and an NRSV. Basically I use them all when I really dig into the scriptures. If I come to a place where I need a little clarity on some matters, I switch to my Amplified Bible. However, I know this is my fleshly opinion because God will speak to the heart through (just about) any (valid) version. But first one has to open up the Book...

Not crazy about using "apps".. Real paper books need no batteries, and don't give off "blue" light that messes with everyone's Circadian sleep rhythms.

Last edited by Rick G.; 06-17-16 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-16-16, 09:07 PM
Administrator

He used Balaam's donkey And despite what I have heard some say KJV is not what Jesus read from exclusively I like comparing versions and going interliniar but I also know that when our main source (Bible we use most) changes some concepts that it does affect us

Old 06-17-16, 01:06 PM

Quote:
He used Balaam's donkey And despite what I have heard some say KJV is not what Jesus read from exclusively I like comparing versions and going interliniar but I also know that when our main source (Bible we use most) changes some concepts that it does affect us
I think if we were to be purists in every sense of the word, we would all be studying the Torah, since that is the text that Jesus would have taught from in the temple. There have been many translations now available, and it can be confusing especially to new Christians. It sure was to me. One of my latest favorites is not any type of "Modern Englishification" of the KJV, but a full accurate translation from the original Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic texts.

The NRSV is the one I study right now, as it appears to be the closest to original documents. Please note that I said "appears"... God shows me the truth, I take nothing for granted..
Old 08-19-16, 09:42 PM

Quote:
what do you know about this app?
I've been using the "Youversion" now for about 4 years on my IPhone. It has 1385 Versions in 1021 languages available.

It's been seamless in operation, and good for looking up stuff when you have the "Address" to call up. It has a concordance, but It pretty clunky - you're NOT going to find anything in a hurry.

I use primarily the KJV, and the Hawaiian Pidgin English Version.

Quote:
It's not a "Translation" at all just a place where ALL the translations are available.
Old 08-25-16, 06:18 PM
ILJ Addict

Bob what are your thoughts on the extra Catholic books?
Old 08-25-16, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
Bob what are your thoughts on the extra Catholic books?
I couldn't care less about 'em, they contain NOTHING of significance and Nobody that read 'em can ever state ANYTHING of Significance in 'em - the EXCEPTION BEING the use of 2 Maccabees by Rome to bolster their "Purgatorial Sanctification" herey.

Simple as that.
Old 08-25-16, 09:57 PM
ILJ Addict

I find Ben Sirach speaks to me an awful lot as a book of Wisdom. I'm not a Catholic though - I'm non-denominational.
Old 08-26-16, 03:01 PM
Administrator

It is possible for there to be natural wisdom that is not the directly inspired word of God.

Old 08-26-16, 05:09 PM
ILJ Addict

Quote:
It is possible for there to be natural wisdom that is not the directly inspired word of God.
I still haven't fully read through all of the wisdom books. But it seems to me basically yes - wisdom is more of a gift and a thing learned from living.
Old 08-26-16, 05:40 PM
Administrator

So it seems there is a gift of wisdom straight from God (1st Corinthians 12:8) and natural wisdom or what my grandmother used to call the voice of experience. And of course here is that which just tried to sound wise and can get us in a peck of trouble.

Old 08-26-16, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Smile

The boards are getting to be fun again