ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > Question of the week

Notices

Old 08-25-15, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Default The early church

what was it like what caused it to grow so rapidly in your opinion?
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 08-26-15, 10:17 AM
ILJ Addict

From what I understand, it sounds a bit like communism but under God. That's a huge difference. Sharing everything, everyone helping each other, it must have been a beautiful time.

It spread so much by God's Will and Spirit. Apostle Paul was God's messenger to the Gentiles which also helped a lot.
Old 08-29-15, 09:25 PM
Administrator

1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

Old 08-29-15, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Default Your turn Paulo

Old 09-01-16, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann View Post
what was it like what caused it to grow so rapidly in your opinion?
The COMMITMENT of the early Christians, of course. They essentially "put their lives on hold", came together with a common focus, COmmitment and dedication to DO GOD'S WILL.
Old 09-01-16, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carabbio View Post
The COMMITMENT of the early Christians, of course. They essentially "put their lives on hold", came together with a common focus, Commitment and dedication to DO GOD'S WILL.
AND IN ADDITION - There are "Seasons" with God - TWO major ones in the 20th century - The "Pentecostal Revival (1900 - 1914 or so), and the "Charismatic Outpouring" 1960 - 1978 or so. BOTH of which, but primarily the Charismatic outpouring with it's global impact, that got people saved by the Box Lot.
Old 09-01-16, 06:13 PM
ILJ Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carabbio View Post
AND IN ADDITION - There are "Seasons" with God - TWO major ones in the 20th century - The "Pentecostal Revival (1900 - 1914 or so), and the "Charismatic Outpouring" 1960 - 1978 or so. BOTH of which, but primarily the Charismatic outpouring with it's global impact, that got people saved by the Box Lot.
Can you please tell us more?
Old 09-03-16, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
Can you please tell us more?
The "Charismatic outpouring" was a sovereign move of God that started in 1960, grew in the World, peaking in 1974, and fading away by 1980. It was fundamentally DIFFERENT that the Pentecostal Revival (1900-1914 or so) in that the Pentecostal revival mainly was among the "Wesleyan Holiness" folks, lower economic classes, and LESS "Theologically astute" groups. The Charismatic outpouring started among the "High-Church Liberals" Episcopalians, Lutherans, and a major Center among the Catholics at Notre Dame university. Where MANY were "Baptized in the Holy SPirit" (to use AG Vernacular).

I first Spoke in tongues back in '73, but the REAL EFFECT of the experience was that suddenly I was ably to teach Bible for HOURS with material that God would give me by the Holy Spirit the night before the meetings.

God used a Group called the "FUll Gospel Business Men's Fellowship" to disseminate the Teaching world wide, ant it would be found the Bible Teachers would begin teaching the SAME THINGS in Hong Kong and Poughkeepsie at the same times.

The Charismatic Outpouring "Added a layer" of "Spiritual Conciousness" that tended to "Supercede" Denominational Doctrine packages, and show folks how relatively unimportant their "Precious Defining Doctrines" were - and made it possible for us during the Late '60s and '70s to "Just be Christians" and meet on a common ground - Jesus. In central Ohio ANY meeting of Charismatic folks was going to be at least Half saved and Spirit Filled Catholics.

The "Historic Pentecostals" being a highly legalistic, and Clothesline Holy bunch Fought the Outpouring tooth and nail because we weren't "Holy" enough for them - BUT in the late '70s and '80s as the CHarismatic outpouring was winding down, MANY Charismatic folks flowed into the Pentecostal denominations, and "un-Legalized" them - so that today there isn't really a penny's worth of difference between a Charismatic, and a Pentecostal - EXCEPT that the Charismatics when they organized their OWN Churches didn't form "Denominations" like the Pentecostals had back in the late teens and '20s.

OF course as the Outpouring died, the "Unity" also went away, and folks became "Methodist CHarismatics", and "Catholic Charismatics" and things got back to "normal - EXCEPT that "Denominational" theologies were never "AS IMPORTANT" again. and FOlks didn't see them as "DEFINITIVE" as they had before.

MANY people were Drawn to the Lord and Saved, and the HUNGER for Biblical teaching, and Spiritual knowledge was INTENSE. The '70s were a "Different time".
Old 09-04-16, 03:24 PM
Administrator

They certainly were and those of us who were active then were a different people in some ways. In the US there was an intertwining between the "hippie movement" with its quest for peace, love, joy and the charismatic. At the same time it was suddenly "possible" to be both rich and spirit filled a concept that was a bit foreign to the traditional pentacostal church. Using lower case p deliberately to indicate the movement vs any specific denominational group. There wss something totally wonderful about a spontaneous gathering of people who love Jesus that could goon for hours in praise and word without getting exhausted. There was a mixture in some quarters - things overlooked or included that were not pleasing to God according to His word but if someone was seeking Jesus Jesus was and still is faithful to meet them welcome them and teach them.

Old 09-04-16, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann View Post
There was a mixture in some quarters - things overlooked or included that were not pleasing to God according to His word but if someone was seeking Jesus Jesus was and still is faithful to meet them welcome them and teach them.
In my area in Ohio (St MArys) New Knoxville was two town over where VIctor Wierwille ansd his "WAY INTERNATIONAL" was located.

The WAY, of course was a "Charismatic Cult" that taught that what you do in the FLESH had no effect on your Spiritual Condition (which Paul wouldn't have approved of at all - Rom 5,6).

You had to be Careful of "Wayfers" (as they were known) because they tended, while extolling the goodness of God, to lie and cheat, and not meet their obligations (because they didn't think they had to).

But The Sidney Chapter of the Full Gospel Business Men's Fellowship (that I was a VP of) was started by "Wayfers", that got straightened out by the Holy Spirit early in the game, and went on to be an EXCELLENT witness for the Lord. We Were 50-50 Catholic And Protestant, and had several Catholic Ministries present in our meetings.
Old 09-05-16, 08:22 PM
Administrator

the way used to be strong in the Northeast so I was somewhat familiar w i bu Charles as an Alabaman had never heard of it or ts teachings until one day we were visiting my family in Connecticut and decided to check out the beach where I grew up around midnight the net to last night. Very untypically I chose to stay in the car. I did not like what they had done yo "my" beach. As Charles walked toward the water a young man came up out of the shadows and walked right up to him and started talking about the Bible. There was "something wrong" tho all of what he said was scriptural. Charles said what he felt God told him to say and the young man was shocked. He had looked ahead in his study guide ad what Charles was talking about was in their next lesson but very differently from what Charles was telling him from God's word. In less than 15 min they were in their knees as the young man asked Jesus t forgive him and deliver him from everything that was connected to The Way. God is faithful to anyone who sincerely wants Jesus in His purity,