ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > Christian Fellowship

Notices

Old 04-26-05, 03:18 PM
ILJ Addict

Default Postal food Drive

On May 14 the postman will pick up bags of non perishable food. Some smaller cities may require you to take the food to the post office If you live in a small city or you won't be home om MAy 14th, you can take the food to the post office. God bless you.
Old 04-27-05, 10:43 AM
God is so Good

I could probably do a search on google and find out but that would not be as much fun as hearing here...
Is this for all the states in the U.S.?
If you live in a rual areal you have to go to the post office..
I think this is a great idea
...But an odd time of year for it?
Lord Bless,
Teresa

Psa 34:8 O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

Support our Troups!!
Old 04-27-05, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Almost everyone has some things in their cupboards that they bought for whatever reason and realize they will never use. Someone else can use it if you will give them a chance. Yes even that can of beets. We have little old ladies for whom a can of beets is a major treat ande in their eyes a personal gift from God. The sardines that seemed like such a good idea when you stocked the blizzard shelf last fall...a family spending the summer in a tent because they have no home would love to have them. That coke or Dairy Queen delight you know you shouldn't really have .. the dollar or two will buy a few cans of food, added to someone else's few and feed someone for a day or mabe even a week. Whether you give in the postal drve or in another way please remember that even in warm weatehr people still need help. Second Harvest and The Children's Defense Fund point out that for kids summer is an even hungrier time because there is no free school lunch or breakfast which for some kids is all they get to eat all day. In our area 1 child in 6 does not have food enough to be healthy. Kids who don't have the right food get sick more, do less well in school, and as a result get behind and tend to drop out and that almost gurantees a life of poverty for them and for their kids. Many seniors citizens especially older seniors have to choose between food and lights or food and necessary medicines. Malnutrition is a leading cause of falls, illness even death for senior citizens. Your cans of food really do make that much difference.

If you want to help people on an ongoing basis consider skipping one coke a week and giving the money to a local organization that buys through a Second Harvest affiliated food pantry. An organization like Caring Hands buying through something like that can buy many food items at 5 to 10 cents on the dollar compared to grocery store prices. Or start a food drive in your church, neighborhood or work place. You can really make a difference.

If you are in the food industry find out what your company does with pull offs, prodcts that are taken off the shelf because they are going out of date. Often they are thrown away. A leading frozen food company has it's marketing reps reset the stores and throw out everything that has a sell by date within the next 30 days 3-4 times every year. 30 days! I can understand wanting it out of the freezzer display maybe but why slice it and pour yuck on it? Why not give it to a charity that would give them a full value tax receipt. Good samaritian laws in every state protect the store and the manufacturer. But no, enough food is thrown away to feed every hungry person in American. Thrown away. What does your local store do with things like that?

I know this is long but it is so important. If you could see the crying chikd holding her tummy or the fear in a young mama's face or the pain an old man goes through when he knows that if they buy his heart medicine his wife and he will go hungry and he knows that "fool old woman" wll buy the medicine anyway you'd understand why I am crying as I post this.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 04-27-05, 07:06 PM
ILJ Addict

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tann
I could probably do a search on google and find out but that would not be as much fun as hearing here...
Is this for all the states in the U.S.?
If you live in a rual areal you have to go to the post office..
I think this is a great idea
...But an odd time of year for it?
Lord Bless,
Teresa
Teresa, Yes this is a nationwide occurance. THe postal food drive is done every year, usually on the Saturday before MOther's Day to honor moms. But since May begins on Sunday, and Mother's Day's is the following Sunday, the food drive will be a little later this year. I don't think that having the food drive in May is odd at all.
Old 04-27-05, 08:48 PM
God is so Good

Please forgive my ignorance on this matter ...
We have collected food at christmas and thanksgiving and when disaster has stricken but I have not been aware of a mail man food drive...
I will search out the details and see what I have to offer here...
And I will let my friends know about it also...
Ann your letter was certainly from your heart and I felt your concern...
I know you are a real blessing to your community...
Lord Bless and thank you for making us aware of the need!!

Psa 34:8 O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

Support our Troups!!
Old 04-27-05, 10:21 PM
ILJ Addict

Quote:
We have collected food at christmas and thanksgiving and when disaster has stricken but I have not been aware of a mail man food drive...
You can find out more abot the postal food drive by going to www.yahoo.com, clicking on one of their news articles, and in the upper right hand corner will be a place for you to type in postal food drive. Next, click on go and you will be taken to an article about the postal food drive.
Old 04-27-05, 10:27 PM
ILJ Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thank you for encouraging your friends to give the less fortunate. I am humbled by your kindness and love for your Sisters and Brothers In Christ.

Last edited by faithangel45; 04-27-05 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-01-05, 06:05 PM
ILJ Addict

There were four baby food coupons in our paper today. I figured that your newspapers might have them as well. Check and see if your Sunday paper has any baby food coupons. If it does, you can use them to but extra baby food for the postal drive.
Old 05-09-05, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Just bumping this up to remind us all

If you like facts and figures or don't see how this is needed where you live please click http://www.foodbanknega.org/Need.htm
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

Old 05-09-05, 02:31 PM
ILJ Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann
Just bumping this up to remind us all

If you like facts and figures or don't see how this is needed where you live please click http://www.foodbanknega.org/Need.htm
thank you, Ann. I was going to remind people myself. It lloks like you were this first one today to remind people.
Old 05-09-05, 09:20 PM
Administrator

That's Ok u can remind again before the 14th

Old 05-13-05, 06:08 PM
ILJ Addict

Talking POstal Food Drive Is Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithangel45
On May 14 the postman will pick up bags of non perishable food. Some smaller cities may require you to take the food to the post office If you live in a small city or you won't be home om MAy 14th, you can take the food to the post office. God bless you.
Tomorrow is the day of the Postal Food Drive. If you have any cans or boxes of food, place it next to your mailbox. God bless you.
Old 05-18-05, 12:40 PM
Administrator

To everyone who gave food in the Postal Food Drive. Thank you. God bless you.

It may not seem like a can or a few cans, makes a difference but it does. Think how many people there are in your town. If every one of them gave one can or one dollar how big a pile of cans and dollars that would be, or even half them or even 1 in 4 or 1 in 10. It's still a big pile isn't it. Hungry kids and older folks will eat because of you.

Old 03-08-06, 01:30 PM
ILJ Addict

The Postal food frive will be here on May 13th. If any of you have lose change place it in a jar or what have you between now and May 8, then use the lose changeto buy some food for those who are hungry.
Faithangel
Old 05-01-06, 10:42 PM
ILJ Addict

Bumping this topic up. The postal food drive will be a week from Saturday.
Even three cans of tuna and a few boxes of Mac & cheese will help.
Faithangel45

Tags
drive, food, post office, postal, postal fooddrive