ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > Question of the week

Notices

Old 09-27-16, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Default Changes

Are there changes that you would like to see to make the boards more interesting or useful to you and or your friends? I can't promose we can do it till I know what it is but can try. Thanks
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 09-27-16, 04:16 PM
ILJ Addict

Invite people you know to join? Allow freer discussion so we can start getting some Christian Converts.
Old 09-27-16, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann View Post
Are there changes that you would like to see to make the boards more interesting or useful to you and or your friends? I can't promose we can do it till I know what it is but can try. Thanks
Since V-Bulletin, in it's infinite knowledge has decided that nobody needs or wants Threaded/Hybrid Display formats, and has ELIMINATED them in Version 5 Software, I set out to find a Christian FORUM that still used "obsolete" V-bulletin Software. Lo and behold the ONLY one that I've found so far has been ILJ. Naznet.com still uses it, and I've been there for years.

Many folks at CARM.org are BITTERLY COMPLAINING about the loss of Threaded conversations. CARM.org doesn't like it either, and V-Bulletin doesn't care.

SO - if you tailored your search engine info to PUBLICIZE that you're a "Threaded/Hybrid" forum (so that folks don't have to work so had to find it) There'd probably be additional traffic.

The thing that's weak about ILJ is simply that it affords a VERY LIMITED selection. Essentially two "Discussion forums" (only one in free format), And a Prayer forum. The "ask a pastor" forum is off limits for discussion, so a larger assortment of "Topical Boards" would be advantageous. Places like Carm.org, or Naznet.com, & "Christianforums.com" are illustrative of the Variety out there.

THEN, of course you have to decide where your "Acceptable Acrimony" threshold is, and how you moderate the boards. I haven't noticed any issues there, yet.

At Christianforums.com, for example, the NAME OF THE FORUM is what the acceptable post content has to be - if you're in the BAPTIST forum - you must be supportive of everything "Baptist", and criticizing the Baptist Paradigm is frowned on (Heavily).

At CARM.org, the opposite is true. The Name on the forum is the "Target to be attacked" - i.e. The "Pentecostal (and Charismatic) forum" is where folks go to Attack The "Full Gospel" genres. SO their format/moderation is just the opposite. It's an
Apologetics based operation, and growing a thicker skin is a good idea. Mine is several inches think after 15 years on that Site.

NAZNET.com has been dubbed "Nicenet", because it's moderated VERY HEAVILY, and nobody can start anything without getting shut down. it's mostly a "Fellowship", and "Theology lite" (Wesleyan flavored) place. I've been there since 1998.

CARM WAS My favorite place - but since THEY went with V-Bulletin 5 - it's all but useless.

Last edited by Bob Carabbio; 09-27-16 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-27-16, 06:01 PM
ILJ Addict

This site is optimized for safari. Safari on windows 10 works perfectly with this site. Download.com

apple is a good christian company.
Old 09-28-16, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
This site is optimized for safari. Safari on windows 10 works perfectly with this site. Download.com

apple is a good christian company.
I use W7 with Google Chrome. Everything works perfectly.
Old 09-28-16, 01:12 AM

Not that I know of. Just wish there were more people though! Keep up the good work!
Old 09-28-16, 11:42 AM
Administrator

A bit of history because understanding how we got where we are today may help us get where we would rather be. At one point ilj was one of the most active Christian sites on net, There were man different board and a lot of very free discussion. They were also a hangout for teen and collage age people. Discussions got lively but were generally not malicious. Around 2002 we were hit hard with trolls and others who frankly said they wanted to destroy the Christian message here. The attacks were not only doctrinal they were very ugly personal accusations against both regular members and religious leaders. These attacks were ugly enough so that at east 2 seriously considered legal action. A few things were tried to being things back to a more civil state, The site owners frankly said that if this continues there would be no more ilj something I and some others did not want to have happen. There were any tears and many prayers. Site owners agreed that he boards could continue with some fairly strict rules but by then they themselves were badly injured by things that had happened here and in the net while became less and less involved. One rule was no debate. I was a varsity debater in college so that was not my favorite rule however there never was a no discussion rule nor a this topic is off limits rule except what you now see in terms of service (no advocating for things the Bible says God hates) but some felt that nothing could be said if someone might disagree. That is not accurate. Policy has always been disagree without being disagreeable.

The boards continued but considerable damage was done. The troll types were banned but not before a lot of those who were seeking peaceable Christian fellowship decided this was not the place for them. Others sought places like Facebook as a more comfortable and sometimes more diverse gathering place. Fewer participating members meant that some boards could go weeks with no posts, To avoid the dead and decaying impression I believe that made some boards were combined and condensed however these can be reopened or new boards created t any time there is interest enough.

The registration closed thing at the top of the board is a specific ouch to me but like a power company ditch across the driveway we need to find a way to live around it and still get where we want to go. I do not have editing codes to remove it and the one site owner I can reach does not either.

So that's how we got where we are. Now how do we get where we want to be? More diverse boards yes for sure as soon as there are live bodies to populate them. Inviting friends please please do and when you find ways that get response please share then with the rest of us. Starting topics you know are hot to your friends and then inviting then may work. What else? Specific hows???? and thank you each for being here and caring.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

Old 09-30-16, 10:35 AM

Quote:
A bit of history because understanding how we got where we are today may help us get where we would rather be.
CARM has TWO FORBIDDEN topics. one is "Universalism" which became a SERIOUS problem for them, and led to the same sort of attacks that apparently your folks ran into. They solved it by IMMEDIATELY deleting universalistic posts, and deleting the memberships of the posters. Same with Satanism, and generally the Occult.

Anybody who believes that Humanity is "basically GOOD" only needs to spend some time on "Religious Forums" to find out about "Total Depravity".

It's a LOT MORE savage on Facebook, and on secular forums.

I remember years ago in a Catholic Forum, a fellow who called himself "The Green Knight" told me "You are my mortal ENEMY, and God's ENEMY. WE BOTH HATE YOU, and I would DESTROY YOU if I could".

I decided not to hang around there - Now, 15 years later, I probably wouldn't even notice -

Athiests have their OWN sub-forum on CARM and ARE NOT ALLOWED to post on any other forums, one they've been identified as being Athiests.

What surprised me in the beginning (Back in '97, or so), was the sheer breadth of beliefs among "orthodox" Christian Paradigmatics. it appears that in practical Christianity, NOBODY AGREES ABOUT ANYTHING - Salvation/Faith/Jesus/the Godhead/the Bible - nothing!!! And it's unrealistic to assume that the PERSONAL beliefs of a "Lutheran" , or a "Baptist"(for example) are even related to the "Lutheran"/"Baptist" denominations.

Doesn't matter WHAT the topic is - there's an ASTOUNDING variety of passionately held doctrinal positions.

SO if you're gonna try to run a thing like a "Discussion forum", and you WANT "doctrinal" Activity, then Growing a "Thick Skin" is a prerequisite, and realizing that folks (given the anonymity of the 'Net) tend to be more gut-level "in your face" that they would DARE to be person to person. Personally I see that as a GOOD thing, since person to person, you're dealing with a "Mask" that the other person straps on - and they're dealing with Your "Mask" that you protect yourself with. I could be wrong, but I don't personally think that folks wear their masks as tightly in the 'net, and you're closer to dealing with the REAL person, and not the "Projected one".

It seems to me that opening up some topical forums would be a good idea - so that you don't "Turn off" people who are visiting with the lack of selection - the 'ol "If you build it, they will come" theory.
Old 09-30-16, 11:52 AM
Administrator

I am blessed with a background that includes lots of skin thickener.

I am very willing to reopen forums or open new ones however the ones closed were closed for lack of activity not visa versa. And yes I am just dumb enough to do that right before an election. If we were to add 2-3 new forums what would be suggested general topics? Terms of service will still hold and at least the title open discussion and debate is off limits per site owners.

Old 09-30-16, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I am blessed with a background that includes lots of skin thickener.

I am very willing to reopen forums or open new ones however the ones closed were closed for lack of activity not visa versa. And yes I am just dumb enough to do that right before an election. If we were to add 2-3 new forums what would be suggested general topics? Terms of service will still hold and at least the title open discussion and debate is off limits per site owners.
Then, it appears that there's nothing you can do. Oh Well.
Old 10-01-16, 09:31 AM
Administrator

How so nothing can do. If the problem is more forums are needed and more forums are possible? We can always try it. I would however like suggestions as to what general forum topics and would very much appreciate if those who request the forum will visit bit some and invite others.

Old 10-01-16, 10:11 PM

Quote:
How so nothing can do. If the problem is more forums are needed and more forums are possible? We can always try it. I would however like suggestions as to what general forum topics and would very much appreciate if those who request the forum will visit bit some and invite others.
If "Debate", and "discussion" are "Off Limits", then there's really nothing to invite anybody TO - who desires to interact with others in that fashion - i.e. "Apologetics".

You've already GOT a "Fellowship Board".
Old 10-02-16, 11:29 AM
Administrator

I apologize, Bob, I apparently did not say what I was trying to say clearly enough. We will never have a board called open debate and discussion again however that does not mean we can not discuss serious things. My comment about encouraging more discussion just before an election was rooted in that. The term debate is taken by the site owners in a very negative way based at least in part on 2 Corinthians 12:20 and Romans 1:29 and in that sense of debate being simply for the purpose of stirring up strife we will not have debate. We can can sometimes do have strong discussions not for strife sake but for the purpose of exploring and sharing ideas. We can disagree without being deliberately disagreeable and unpleasant. One can make one's point with strength and passion without calling one's brother a 3 headed baboon in the process. You have been part of at least a couple of discussions here that indicated opposing points of view.

Old 10-05-16, 05:14 PM

In some ways ilj is like a cottage prayer group vs a mega church I think do you?
Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature Matthew 16:15

Come visit us at http://www.caringhandsministries.com