ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > Christian Fellowship

Old 09-24-11, 04:57 PM
ILJ Addict

Default being exposed to alcohol as children

What do you think of adults who were exposed to drinking as a children? I heard today my nephew went to a nightclub with his parents. He's 14.

When I was younger, my parents exposed me to wine/beer when I was young.Isn't that giving alcohol to minors? My youngest sister claims being exposed will help prevent adult drinking which happened but in my husband's family it led to adult drinking and drug use.

I've been hearing that kids end up drinking and doing drugs and those who don't drink in spite of their parents drinking. I know I'm going to cross that path eventually with my soon to be 13 year old daughter.
Old 09-24-11, 06:31 PM
Administrator

It depends on the state laws if it is legal to give your own children alcohol to drink. It is illegal everywhere, I think, to give alcohol to people under 21 years of age.

I remember when I was in high school that 18-year-olds wanted the right to drink low alcohol beer. We had a debate in health class where the clincher for some was that if you are old enough to serve your country, you are old enough to be served beer. I don't remember what the outcome was.
Old 09-24-11, 09:34 PM
Administrator

I think to an extent it is cultural thing. In the rural south it seems the association is that everyone who drinks will get drunk and that it is wrong to drink at even wine with a meal and almost no one believes Jesus really did turn water into wine at the wedding. When I was volunteering at a Christian retreat center in NY I got to know a minister from Denmark who was totally horrified that American Christians drank coffee yet he thought there was nothing wrong with someone having beer with a meal. That about blew my mind yet we had Jewish friends who used wine in religious meals.

I was around people who drank when I was child, it made it seem a natural and normal part of life. That as not necessarily a good thing. I was allowed a few sips, sometimes more. Seeing the way alcohol affected people I care about played a part in my decision not to drink. I was allowed to go places where people drank and in that day and place nothing was thought of a child having some of what a parent was drinking.

I think the most important thing is that a child is raised to have a strong sense of who they are and of God's love for them. One of the best things a parent can do is help them to personally come to know Christ as Savior and as the center of their lives. That does not mean pressuring them to walk down and shake the preacher's hand etc. when nothing real is happening in their heart. It does mean living Christ and having his word as the parent's guide. It can also be very helpful to have conversations about life and truth and to pray together about whatever is important to the child to teen and for the parent to listen as well as talk. It helps too I think to encourage the child to be part of activities and programs that build strength and character.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com

Tags
alcohol, bringing up, children, coffee, concern, cultural, cultural differences, differences, drinkin, laws, learning, natural, night club, normal, standards, teaching, teens