ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > Christian Fellowship

View Poll Results: What do you think about more Biblical /theological Discussion at ilj
yeah I guess so 2 15.38%
YES very much so 7 53.85%
whatever 1 7.69%
doesn't seem like a good idea but ok if ppl want it 0 0%
NO WAY 0 0%
IT shouldbe a separate bd open to all to encourage more discussion 3 23.08%
I prefer it be a board like men'sand women's bd w/posting and reading only by ppl who sign up for it 1 7.69%
I prefer to see it all be part of Christian Fellowship bd. 0 0%
I am running for the hills at the thought of this 1 7.69%
I hagve friends who mght like to come join such discussions 1 7.69%
You'll do anything to post a poll won't you? 1 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-08, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Default Do you think that ilj can handle more Biblical and/or theological discussion?

Biblical and/or theological discussion is welcome in CF as long as it stays dscussion not argument. However the perception of some is that it is not encouraged or accepted. This of course goes back to the bad old days of the open debate and discussion bd. It seems however that perhaps in trying to avoid the problems and wounds that brought we are avoiding area about which people wish they could talk. What do you think. Is the group we have here now mature enough? Should we continue to just encourage these discussions in CF or have a separate forum? If a separate forum should it be open to all members or be a specific membership bd like the Men's and Women's bds? Personally I'd love there to be a place at ilj where people shared more of what the Lord is showing them and encouraged others to get into His word more and seek His face more. I don't care whether that is in CF or a bd just for that. I do care very much that all members be respected and that people not get taking pot shots at each other bec of differences especially not because of differences in things I consideral peripheral to the basics of faith in Christ. We worked very hard to craft terms of service in a way that made people welcome without restrictions in those areas.

For simplicity sake I'm going to make a poll on this but please make comments too. Thanks.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 05-29-08, 10:54 PM
The Great Redneck Hope

It depends on whether or not there will be one set of rules for everybody. Both in theory and in practice.
Old 05-29-08, 11:10 PM
Administrator

point well taken
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

Old 05-30-08, 12:45 AM
ILJ Addict

As long as we don't get into the mentality that one view is right and anyone with a different view is wrong, I'm fine with it. That was one of the things that ran me away from this place so long ago. Everyone has differing beliefs regarding the rapture/tribulation, what parts of the bible should be taken literally or metaphorically, and what it says regarding certain subjects. And I feel those views should be respected, even if we may disagree with them. I think that if everyone could keep that in mind and try to hold to it, it has a chance of working out. IMO any discussion that starts off with the mentality of "I'm right and you're wrong" is doomed to fail every time.
For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
~Romans 8:38-39
Old 05-30-08, 01:46 AM
ILJ Addict

I'm always worried about getting involved in this kind of thing because I'm scared of posting something which I hold to be true but which the board admins are totally against.
Old 05-30-08, 06:08 AM
Administrator

The basic beliefs which would be the standard for that and any other bd at ilj are set forth in terms of service to which all members claim they agree when joining. For simplicity sake I'll include the parts of TOS relevant to this here too.

Quote:
ILJ Statement of Belief and Terms of Service:
There are some basic beliefs that form the heart of this site. Here are some of the most basic of these beliefs:
The Bible is the word of God. It tells us the history of the human race and shows the standards for Christian behavior. The Bible tells us that in the beginning God was. He existed before all else. God created heaven and earth, humans and animals. Humans were created in Godís image to be in fellowship with Him. They were not puppets but had free will and could make choices. The first humans sinned by disobeying God. This sin separated humans from fellowship with God. All humans since then have been born with a sin nature. All people have sinned; they are less righteous than God. The wages of sin is death, eternal separation from God and punishment in a literal hell. God still loves humans and does not want us to be condemned to eternal death. He sent His only begotten Son, Jesus, to be our Savior. Jesus the Christ was 100% God and 100% man at the same time. Jesus never sinned. Because He did not sin, He could offer himself as a sacrifice to take the punishment for our sin. He died on the cross, was buried, and rose on the third day to demonstrate that His sacrifice was accepted by God. We can be saved from eternal death and hell and come into fellowship with God only by faith in the power of His blood to make atonement for our sin. When we receive Jesus as our Savior we die to our old nature and are made new in Him.

You do not have to believe what we believe to come to this site or post on these boards. You do need to realize, though, that these beliefs are the standards for this board. Anyone is welcome to ask questions and participate in discussions. All boards are moderated and posts which disparage or are disrespectful to God, The Lord Jesus Christ, The Holy Spirit, the Bible, or the standards of right and decency set forth in the Bible will not be permitted. If anyone persists in posting things like that they will lose the privilege of posting on this site....
Quote:
Although the administrators and moderators of ILJ Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of ILJ Boards, Christian Web Host, Inc., nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of ILJ Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.
Quote:
By clicking the Agree button, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws. We reserve the right to delete any message, topic, to ban a username, IP address, domain name, or email address for *any reason* that we (the owners of this board) feel is deserved (especially if you repeatedly post argumentative or offending posts).
You also agree that you will not post any messages on our boards that try to persuade others against Christianty, promote a distorted view of the Bible, promote pro-abortion views or the homosexual lifestyle. You may think this narrowminded, but this is our site and if you want to argue, please go elsewhere. That is not what this place is for and never has been.
Quote:
We pray that ilj boards will be a blessing to each person who comes here. If you have questions or need help please feel free to email a moderator or one of the admins. The owners of ILJBoards.com and its moderators have the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason. Once again, by clicking the button below to proceed with the registration process, you are agreeing to be bound by these terms of posting.
In terms of the specific things mentioned different iews re rapture and tribulation would certainly be welcomed and we wouild ask and insist that ppl holding different viewpoints respect each other and respect Jesus who lives in the person with whom they ma differ to the point where they recognize that in insulting or disparaging their brother or sister in the Lord they disparage and insult the Lord who lives within that person. I have probably heard both sides of every possible rapture and trib viewpoint and have yet to kill anyone over it and have managed to avoid being killed by anyone over it thus far so there is probably hope for the rest of us. Most ppl here know my voews on it and also know that I would be very happy to be incorrect on this one. The board standard is to take the Bible literally except where something is clearly allegorical or illustrative *(see TOS above)

BTW nothing in this thread or this discussion is meant to limit anyone from posting anything of a Biblical or theological nature in CF provided it is something that is w/in TOS.

Does anyone else find it highly ironic that someone who was a collegiate debater and had argumentation as part of their major and whose favorite off line Bible discussions are or border on debate is the one charged with enforcing the no debate policy?

Old 05-30-08, 04:00 PM
888-NeedHim

As long as you all realize that I'm always right than I think it would be fine.
Old 05-30-08, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Only One is always right. Thankfully He is also merciful.

Old 05-30-08, 10:13 PM

I would like a forum for this purpose. But in the past on other boards people signed up just for the purpose of posting in those threads to argue and disagree and just be mean... So, I think that any forum like that should be in a place where maybe everyone can read the posts, but only people who have maybe made a certain number of posts to prove themselves 'trustworthy' should be able to reply to/make a new thread in the forum. But that's just my opinion. Kind of like in the 'Ask' forum.

I want the world to know I BuRn for You!

Love is all around you now
So take a hold
And faith will bring a way
to the impossible

www.pumpkinbabydesigns.etsy.com

www.facebook.com/BrittanyLawrencePhotography
Old 06-01-08, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Would that include questions about how Christians should respond to people who are homosexual? How about the possibilities and limits of forgiveness?
Old 06-01-08, 10:11 PM
Administrator

I would think those would both be appropriate topics

Old 06-02-08, 05:22 AM
ILJ Addict

Are there limits to forgiveness? I won't start a discussion in this thread but I'd be interested in something like that.
Old 06-02-08, 01:17 PM
Administrator

So maybe start a separate thread

Old 06-02-08, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
Are there limits to forgiveness? I won't start a discussion in this thread but I'd be interested in something like that.
That's what I'd like to discuss, Paulo. I've been reading some books by Holocaust survivors, and they're rough reads. So...feel free to start a thread--I'll drop by as I can!
Old 06-03-08, 02:02 PM
~Queen of Blondeland~

I suppose we could try this. As long as the rules are clear and are understood by everyone involved (including those in charge). I think ILJ could handle it. A lot of good points have been made here and I think if we put it all together it could work. Just my 2cents worth.
Romans 12:12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God is flawless;he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.

Exercize is a dirty word. Everytime I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Charles M. Schultz

Growing old is inevitable...growing UP is optional.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
Experience is something you get just after you need it.