ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > Christian Fellowship

Old 01-31-10, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Default video games for learning

Does anyone know of learning video games that can teach a child cause and effect type things and maybe some behavioral patterns? This is for a very bright 8 yr old who has some behavioral issues (may be autism related) who is totally into action video games. His mom and I would appreciate any info.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 02-01-10, 09:53 AM
Administrator

I don't know of any, but I'll see what I can find.
Old 02-01-10, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Thanks

His mom thinks perhaps he has some borderline or Autism or Aspergers. I have not had opportunity to see him and know if it is that or some ADHA, ADD related manifestations turbulent surroundings. He is very smart, does well at school, but seems to follow directions only when there are other kids other than brother) to follow, be intensely into video games and whatever else he is into, and not be willing or able to link actions and consequences.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

Old 02-01-10, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Not a video game, but may be helpful: Autism Teaching Tools: Cause and Effect Toys

Some more ideas

This may help

Environmental cause and effect

Maybe?
Old 02-01-10, 09:58 PM
Administrator

This child learns school subjects well the problem he has is in areas like throw your toys on the floor and refuse to pick them up --> toys gone, scream at mom ---> discipline, refuse to go to bed --> tired. Kicking screaming hitting are counter productive

Old 02-02-10, 09:43 AM
Administrator

There are some ideas for teaching children that in those links. One of the suggestions for kids who are video prone is that so many of the games actually show the relationship between cause and effect. In fact, using natural cause and effect consequences is a great way to discipline.
Old 02-02-10, 02:36 PM
Administrator

I did read the sites except the one that required paid subscription. His problem is not with academic learning but behavioral learning i.e. learning the consequences of the ways he acts or chooses not to act. It is that natural cause and effect link for discipline that his mom finds most difficult to help him understand.

Old 02-02-10, 03:14 PM
Administrator

I think she's going to have to set up her own cause/effect program. It will take time, and persistence.
Old 02-03-10, 12:06 AM
Administrator

I 'spect you have been praying bec he is doing a lot better

Old 02-03-10, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Thank You, Jesus. Please give Mom the wisdom, courage, and perseverance she needs to help her son.
Old 02-03-10, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Amen Father and please give those things to Dad and uncle too. Thank You.

Tags
add, adha, aspergers, autism, behavior, family, learning, parenting, special needs, video games