ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > Healthy Living

Old 02-14-10, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Default Do You Know What You Are Drinking?

Tomorrow morning for breakfast, would you take a glass, half fill it with sugar, add acid strong enough to break down tooth enamel, stir in artificial coloring, throw in carbonation, and drink it? Statistics state that soft drinks account for more than a quarter of all beverages drunk in the United States. The average American drinks 53 gallons of carbonated soft drinks per year.

Is there really anything wrong with a can of soda?

It depends on your definition of "anything wrong." If you drink one, or more sodas per day, you increase your risk of "metabolic syndrome." This increases your risk for heart disease, and type 2 diabetes. Drinking diet soda does not change this statistic.
Caffeine, in heavy amounts, may make you a bundle of nerves, and may aggravate heart arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat patterns). Additionally, it creates caffeine dependency.
This "liquid candy" (so called for the amount of sugar in it) can fill you up with 160 calories leaving little to no room for foods with nutritional value.
It can break down your tooth enamel causing tooth decay. The acid in soda pop is only slightly less destructive than battery acid.
Soda often contains dyes that are harmful to some people. (Are you sure you are not one of them?)
Some research indicates a link between drinking pop and esophageal cancer.
Other studies suggest that there is a link between drinking colas, and having kidney stones.
Diet soda has a higher amount of acid than regular pop.

If you still want to drink soda, do it wisely.

Strictly limit the amount that you drink no more than one can per day.
Drink it with meals to restrict the damage done by the sugar and acid.
Don't let it replace more nutritious foods.
Rinse your mouth or better yet, brush your teeth after consuming soft drinks.
Use a straw to limit the amount of acid touching your teeth.
Old 02-17-10, 01:56 PM

I do like coke but the hehuman keeps taking it away from me.
Old 02-17-10, 03:19 PM
Administrator

I don't think you need coke.
Old 02-18-10, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Default Is it better to drink water? Maybe but

There are a lot of contaminates in both bottled water and regular tap (aka city/county) water For more on that
Check your public water supply http://www.epa.gov/safewater/dwinfo/index.html
Watch video on bottled water quality http://eco-monkeys.com/water

We are blessed to have a well here and be above most contaminents but I also know a well is no guarantee. The 2nd place we lived in the mountains we got the notion that tan was not the right color for water and Charles called health ppl re getting a water test. They asked where in the county he lived and then told him they would test it but w/o testing they could guarantee it had e coli and various heavy metals "because every well in that area does"

The only solution I know for sure is Mark 16:18 "...and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; ...." and in this too we need to be walking in faith believing and need to not be doing something foolish to show off.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 02-18-10, 11:39 AM
Administrator

That's true enough. We have a filter on our kitchen tap that keeps it pretty clean. Filters out the flouride, too.

Tags
acid, carbonated, carbonation, diet, drinking, health, safety, saftety, soda, sugar, water, water quality