ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > The Doorway

Old 05-18-09, 03:22 AM
Administrator

Default Even been lost?

We live in the foothills of Appalachia where the mountain are so curvy and the shadows of the mountains so deep that you can find moss growing on the south side of the trees. I grew up knowing that you could "always" find north and get oriented in the woods because the moss would be on the north side of a tree so I didn't like that south side moss at all. It is all too usual for people to get lost even within a few yards when they get off in these woods. The new publisher of the local newspaper wrote of taking a short walk, and being lost for hours as dark fell and cold winds started to blow and the rain began. He was at the edge of hypothermia when he finally saw a light and found a house and someone drove him home and gave him a compass and instructions to always keep it in his pocket and learn to use it. He closed the column by saying we need something like that or we can take just a few wrong steps and put our lives at risk.

That can happen spiritually too, something sounds good or maybe feels good and we take a few steps in that direction and maybe a few more and suddenly we get all turned around and don't even realize it until we are in a dangerous place. It might be following a teacher that says he has a better way to spiritual power, or finding a little pill that helps us be so lively and loose weight fast and then needing it more and more, or missing someone whom has died so much that any way to still hear from them seems right, or cutting down a coworker to look good to the boss, or any of a million other turns and shadows. Like the newspaper man we need a compass and that compass is the word of God. If we go by His word we can find our way and can get back on the right path even if we do get turned round for a little while. The compass shows us absolute north. God's word shows us absolute truth.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 05-18-09, 09:38 PM

How true!
Old 06-26-09, 03:48 PM
Administrator

The first time we visited the Ocala National Forest, we got directions from friends for the back roads to Orlando. Coming back it was dark, and we got almost where we wanted to be when it got weird. We kept turning on the correctly numbered/named road, but it took us round and round and round until one of my daughters told us to keep going straight when we got to the turn again. She was right. It took us where we needed to go even though we thought we were going the right way.

Later, we discovered that the particular road we needed wandered around out in the Forest, and we were turning onto the wrong section of it. It was close to the right place, and we were certain that it was, but all we got to do was go around and around in the pitch dark for about half an hour.

Tags
bible, compass, deception, god's word, lost, truth