ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > Christian Fellowship

View Poll Results: What does it mean to forgive
it makes what the person did OK 0 0%
it is saying they did wrong but you choose to not hold a grudge 4 100.00%
You were wrong and they were right 0 0%
It restores the relationship just like it was before 0 0%
you will trust the person just like you did before 0 0%
you will try to keep them from having any consequebces or bad result from what they did 0 0%
you choose not to have resentment or hate but you may be cautious in the future 3 75.00%
you have to say what they did was good 0 0%
you can forgive and still protect yourself and others from harm 2 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-13, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Post What does it mean to forgive

In your opinion and understanding of the Bible what does it mean to forgive. You can select more than one option and it would be great of you would share why you chose the answer(s) you did
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 12-15-13, 09:04 AM
ILJ Addict

I would say to forgive is to release someone from a debt they owe you, just as God forgiving frees from the debt of sin.
Old 12-15-13, 05:04 PM
Administrator

I think one of the hardest situations is family estrangement, specifically siblings, in my case. They are holding on to things that have happened over decades of our lives. For years they would bring up the same hurts. I asked for forgiveness many times for the same infractions yet they never let go. Finally, they began verbally abusing me, and I had to step back and close the door. I have forgiven them, but in this case it was not safe to continue to interact with them.

Nevertheless, holidays and anniversaries of birthdays and other events bring them to mind.
Old 12-16-13, 09:54 AM
Administrator

A very hurtful situation. Those who wont forgive are poisoning themselves but the fall out hurts others even ppl who may not have been part of the original situation or not have e end been born yet. I think part of the reason Jesus told us not only to forgive but also to actively and continually pray for and bless those who persecute and despitefully use us is so that enough good plants like mercy, grace, agape love, are sown into the garden of our lives that they fill it and choke out the roots of bitterness and fear, and other noxious weeds and our life's fruit can b sweet for him others and ourselves to taste. Even knowing this there r times when things still hurt. I suppose that is a function of stumbling over the rocks of but other people.....which may or may not b true... .and of allowing myself to expect anything from anyone but God. No expectations I am told means no disappointments and betrayals and a lot of nice surprises. There's an art to not expecting at all vs expecting the worst. I have not yet mastered either part of it for more than a short while at a time but I would b a lot easier for me and others to b around if I do.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

Old 12-16-13, 09:59 AM
Administrator

I miss family holidays and then again I don't. Perhaps northern bears have the right idea hibernate through then, rest up, produce baby bears every couple of years, nurture then in a safe environment and come out again when there are flowers, sunshine, and butterlies

Old 12-16-13, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Word!

I have to say that my daughter's mother and father in law have gathered us all under their roof on holidays and other times and call us family. I am grateful for that for it is a family not perfect and recognizes that we are not perfect and there is grace and mercy aplenty there.

Tags
forgive, forgiveness