ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > The Doorway

Old 07-28-12, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Exclamation Hungry Children Hungry Grandmas

There is a farm bill going through - or not going through - congress right now that could or could not continue kids school lunches, food stamps, and otehr food help for people in need. I am not into more government dependency. I am also not into children and grandmas being hungry nor babies being damaged or dying because their mama's did not have good nutrition before they were born. Ideally every family, every church, every community, would reach out and help their neighbors and the government would not need to be involved. That is happening to some extent, less now than 50 years ago but more now than 10 years ago in lots of places. There are great organizations like Americans Helping Americans that work with local ministries and groups to provide food at times of special need and sometimes ongoing. But people still need help. Please check out the facts and contact your congress persons.

Nationwide 1 child in every 5 does not have food enough to be healthy. 1 senior citizen in 8 is nutritionally at risk. In my area it is 1 child in 2 and one senior citizen in 4.

Compassion aside as important as compassion is the fact is that it costs us taxpayers more not to help people with food than it costs to help them. That is because malnutrition is a leading cost of falls, illness hospitalization, nursing home placement and even death for senior citizens (read that much higher Medicare costs). Babies whose moms are malnourished have more developmental delays, and birth defects and may need lifelong care and be unable to be a productive taxpayer to the extent he/she otherwise would have. Children who are not properly nourished are sick more often (higher medical bills), more likely to have psychological and behavioral problems, more likely to do poorly in school, more likely to come into contact with juvenile court as offenders, more likely to drop out, more likely to be involved with the criminal justice system as adults. Bluntly it is cheaper to feed them than to pay their medical bills house them in juvenile detention and later in adult jails. All the negatives also mean the community and the country loose the productive potential these children can grow up to have if they get help with food.

Please see http://www.feedingamerica.org and http://www.helpingamericans.org for more info.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com

Last edited by Ann; 07-28-12 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-28-12, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Which of these have you done? Which have you done lately? Which would you be willing to do now? Which would you be willing to do someday maybe?

__ invited a friend of your child's to eat with your family because you thought he might not have a lot of food at home.
___ taken food to a neighbor or friend who is going through a hard time?
___taken some of the extra you got in buy one get one free or other groceries to a food pantry
___ volunteered at a food bank or food pantry
___ helped make sandwiches for a kids summer food program
___ taken food to homeless shelter or homeless people on the street or provided food to be taken
___ sent a gift card for food to someone that was having a hard time with or without saying who it is from
___talked to your church about starting a food ministry or something like One Harvest
____ been hungry and no food available
___ Contacted your senator or representative about food programs
___ Paid for school lunch for the children of a deployed soldier or someone else just over the free school lunch level

What else do you do that helps?
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com

Tags
americans, americans helping, children, community, compassion, congress, congressperson, death, falls, feeding america, food stamps, hunger, involvement, local, malnutrition, medicare, ministries, ministry, nutrition, prison, school lunch, school lunches, senior citizens, sickness, snap