ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > The Doorway

Old 12-22-11, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Default What is with all the fuss about Tebowing?

US society seems to encourage children and teens to emulate sports figures. Supposedly there is freedom of religious expression. So why are some schools and some commentators so upset when young people do the one knee bow thing either acknowledging God or emulating a football player or both?
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 12-22-11, 08:03 PM
Administrator

what schools and who are the commentators?
Old 12-22-11, 08:53 PM
Old Greybeard

Could it be do to a basic animosity towards the Christian faith, and to one who openly expresses it?

Create in me a clean heart,
O God; and renew a right
spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Nemo surdior est quam is qui non audiet - No man is more deaf than he who will not hear
Old 12-22-11, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Schools: Riverhead High School is the one most in the news, warnings issues in several GA schools.

Commentators and commenters: In addition to some things on Youtube so profane I can not post the links here Good Morning America Yahoo Sports blog Shut Down Corner "like planking, but dumber." individuals making comments on Facebook and other sites

for more of each see your favorite search engine
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 12-23-11, 09:35 AM
Administrator

The Tebow is a man who takes his faith seriously. He wears it publicly, and from what I've read and heard, he is the same both in public and in his private capacity. 2 Timothy 3:12 "Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution." He makes people feel uncomfortable living his faith so openly. Even some Christians think it is overkill, that he appears to be too good to be true. To them, I say, "Then pray for him that he might not fall."

As for the "Tebowing," I do not know his heart, so I cannot say what his motives are. The Christians that I know do not care much for that particular habit are recovering from spiritually abusive situations, and it is a powerful trigger of bad memories.

I am not a fan of football. In fact, it bores me to tears. My husband, however, has been following Tebow since his junior year and UF, and has a good opinion of him as a person. He doesn't think, though, that he's a great football player - at least not yet.
Old 12-23-11, 12:12 PM
Administrator

People laughed at the changed Ebenezer Scrooge, too.

Quote:
"Some people laughed to see the alteration in him, but he let them laugh, and little heeded them; for he was wise enough to know that nothing ever happened on this globe, for good, at which some people did not have their fill of laughter in the outset; and knowing that such as these would be blind anyway, he thought it quite as well that they should wrinkle up their eyes in grins, as have the malady in less attractive forms. His own heart laughed: and that was quite enough for him.”

Tags
children, emulate, heros, negative, schools, sports, students, tebo, tebow, teebow, teens