ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > Christian Fellowship

Old 08-09-09, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Default God's ways - human ways

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. " Isaiah 55:8

What do you suppose He meant by that and what can/ should we do about it? For me that touches on some of my :soapbox issues, homeless kids, huger, but also on my own heart attitudes. I'll post some more on that later but I'd like to know how you think on this.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 08-09-09, 06:01 PM

If the Lord is speaking of sinners, which I believe he is, along with a comparison of earthly existence to that of heavenly, it makes sense.

The kids you speak of, probably left by unfit parents or whatever, not what the Lord would want. What you apparently do, is to try and right the wrong, indeed in tune with the Lord.
Old 08-10-09, 02:12 AM
Administrator

Arrow homeless kids

Quote:
The kids you speak of, probably left by unfit parents or whatever,
To me these kids are not a whatever and of the many I have known personally through working with the school systems and with Caring Hands Ministries most had parents who cared desperately much and tried desperately hard for their children. I know that you have probably not met many homeless kids or parents struggling with homelessness so here are some basic realities. Reading back through this and my next post I know they come on strong. Please understand that it is not meant to pick a fight with anyone especially not Bayrat but to share some things that I believe are very important to recognize.

1.The average homeless person in America is not a drunk or stoned guy under a bridge somewhere, the average homeless American is a 7yr old child.

2. Many homeless parents do work usually at minimum wage or just above minimum wage. Many are single moms. Here's the math. 40 hrs x $7 hr = $280 a week. Tho the new minimum wage laws have resulted in a lot of jobs being cut to less than 40 hrs. Taxes average $84 so take home is somewhere around $196. Even with subsidies child care will cost $25-40 for 1 or 2 children (after school care program at school here is $50 a week) so that leaves $171 - 156 a week. Average run down trailer in these parts is $140-150 a week not including utilities. At best that leaves $31 a week for transportation to work, lights, heat, TP, dish soap, laundry, bath soap, cleaning stuff, etc. not to mention food, clothes, school supplies, or a toy. Can you live on that budget? I've tried and was not good at it. If somehow by the grace of God and food stamps and maybe child support the family survives what happens when one of the kids gets sick and mama misses work, or mom herself gets sick, or the old car blows a tire or worse a tie rod? Rent gets behind and late charges start which puts them further behind and they are evicted or utilities get shut off and the landlord says get out before you freeze my pipes. And so the kids get homeless and who on this budget can find $340 for a new power deposit (that's tyhe EMC minimum) and at least $150 for security deposit? Families double and tripple up to try to make ends meet and the landlord finds out and they are all on the street, or living in a car, or on grandma's couch today Aunt Suzi, floor tomorrow, living in the car next week, or camping or just sort of staying no where. I knew moms who literally walked all night with a baby on one hip and a toddler on the other or spent the night pushing their kids in a cart around Wal-Mart because it was too cold for the kids to be outdoors.

4. In our area there are over 2000 homeless kids and less than 200 shelter beds for kids which means the family does not have even that minimal stability or chance to save up to try to have a home again.
5. However homelessness happens a kid who is homeless even as much as a month is likely to get behind in school no matter how good the school district's outreach program is. A child who is homeless any length of time is 70% more likely to drop out before he/she finishes high school and become a homeless unwed parent.

6. Nationally statistics say once a family is it wll be at least 2 yrs before theyhave a home of their own again and once they do have a home there is at least a 50% chance they'll be homeless again within 12 months. (sources: Institute for Children and Poverty and National Association for the Eucation of Homeless Children and Youth)

Homeless kids come in all shapes, sizes, ethnic backgrounds, and colors.
Alicia is 3. She and her mama are hiding from her daddy because he punched mama in the stomach and she almost lost the coming baby. Alicia tried to protect her after she fell down and when her daddy kicked her 3 ribs were broken. Her mama is afraid to leave her to go to work so she is not eligible for welfare because in this state there is a work first requirement even during a high risk pregnancy. Patty was 11 when she and her family came to live on our office floor. She has 2 sisters one older one younger. Their home had been destroyed by a storm. This was the safest place they knew to come and her mom and dad knew we would take care of the girls while they looked for work. Yolanda is 2, her mom is 16, her father raped her mom and is in prison. Her mom's parents allowed her to stay there but people kept noticing that they both had a lot of bruises. One night when Yolanda's grandma hit her mom the bleeding from her nose and ears wouldn't stop. Her friend took her to the ER but they couldn't treat her without her parent's consent. Her friend finally took her to the friend's grandma for a safe place to stay. Why the police weren't called I don't understand but at least they are in a place I know is safe. Yolanda's mom was working at a fast food place but she lost her job after the night at the ER because she was too dizzy and her head hurt too bad so she called in sick but they still fired her. Mo was 15 when his parents split up. The plan was that he would stay with his dad but without mom running interference the abuse that drove mom from the home fell on him and he got out. He stayed in the woods a month or 2 then at his friend's place but that came with a price - he was expected to participate in that family's business which was making and selling Meth. He wasn't very good at it so he used "just a little" to try to get up his nerve which might be why his judgment was so bad he offered to sell some to a cop or maybe like he said he was just too tired of it all. I've known Mo since he was 11. He is now 21 and on his way back to jail for the 3rd time. This is not a kid from poverty. His dad had a skilled trade and earned about $30 an hour. His family is one of the oldest in the area. Abby is 7 and an A student. Her dad helped Americans fighting in another country and so they let him come here but he speaks almost no English and his wife understand only a little more and is very shy to try to speak. They were cleaning a car lot and staying in an unheated shack on the lot but because they are Hispanic even tho they have papers to be here the owner got a lot of flack about illegals and told them to get out. Now they are usually under a certain bridge but Abby missed school Friday because she didn't know how to find a school bus. Bubba and his twin sister live in a car in the national forest. Mama worries about the bears that caused part of the forest to be closed so she doesn't let them play outside the car. They get to wade in the river and take splash baths every day on mom's way to work. While she works at an all night eatery they stay in her friend's van in the parking lot where her friend and her baby sleep then when their mom gets off from work she watches the friend's baby till she finishes work cleaning motel rooms. She used to get a room as part of her pay but then tourist season started up so it will be December before she can get a room like that again. All the kids names are changed of course but every situation is real and one where I know the people personally. We get calls every week from people in similar circumstances. Sometimes we can help with rent to prevent eviction or shut off sometimes the money just isn't there, Sometimes we can help with deposits but we need to be pretty sure they will be able to keep up the rent. We do always have food thanks to the Lord so we can help with that and things like gas to start a job or that used tire that makes the difference of being able to keep a job.

Yes there are some uncaring parents and some so caught up in their own situations that they do not care for their children but that generality just does not apply truthfully to all homeless moms and dads.

Here are some things you can check out to see that these kids don't live just in my imagination. http://www.familyhomelessness.org/?q=node/1 http://www.hfhnyc.org/
http://www.horizonsforhomelesschildr...Statistics.asp

Homeless families are very precious to me both because they are part of my calling in the Lord and because I have been homeless. My mom couldn't help having cancer and my dad didn't die because he didn't love me but that was how it was.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

Last edited by Ann; 08-10-09 at 03:52 AM.
Old 08-10-09, 02:32 AM
Administrator

Default Is God just talking to snners here?

If we say that at every moment we fall short of God's goodness we are sinners I suppose that would be true.

Other people may be a lot more godly than am but if I look honestly at my heart and mind, my words and actions there are a lot of times when I think and do things that are not at all godly. My reactions when Charles leaves a used shirt in the living room floor, or a certain lady calls me to complain again about their son in law and calls him an assortment of descriptive terms and expects my sympathy because he has the nerve to keep some of the pictures her daughter (his late wife) painted, or I find someone deliberately aiming for roadside animals with their car or.... well there are too many or's for me to list but I do not consistently react with godly grace and blessing. The times I could be fellowshipping with the Lord or helping someone and choose to read Garfield or Marmaduke instead are surely not God's ways.

I suspect I am not the only one who firmly believes they are a Christian yet runs out of patience or has to remind myself to forgive because Jesus said to not because it is my automatic heart reaction and then catches myself thinking about the wrong again and getting upset at them again.

When I read how Jesus said we are to live - just the sermon on the mount even just the beatitudes I know I have a very long ways to go and can get there only by God's help and grace.

Last edited by Ann; 08-10-09 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-10-09, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann View Post
To me these kids are not a whatever
I was not referring to the kids as a "whatever" but rather to the difficulties which led to their current circumstances.

The reason for the abandonment, homelessness or dire situation does not need explanation, they are innocent victims. I hold the "parents" accountable, there were two sometime along the way. We can disagree on that but my concern is that the children are not left abandon.

Back to the original question, I do believe what you are doing in caring for those kids is of His way.
Old 08-10-09, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann View Post
If we say that at every moment we fall short of God's goodness we are sinners I suppose that would be true.

Other people may be a lot more godly than am but if I look honestly at my heart and mind, my words and actions there are a lot of times when I think and do things that are not at all godly.
We all do, look at your first sentence. Quit beating yourself up for not being perfect. We all do that too.
Old 08-10-09, 09:02 PM
ILJ Addict

i would take it as being similar to 'all fall short of the glory of God'. and also an evidence of God's supreme power in the 'my ways' bit.

HI!!
Old 08-12-09, 01:19 PM
Administrator

It seems to me it is not beating myself up but seeing that I have "a long ways to go and a short time to get there". A tennis player who wants to play at a better level will try to look at his/her skills and practice and try to overcome habits that diminish their power and accuracy and develop better skill sets for better performance. Paul compares the Christian life to an athletic contest in 1Corinthians 9:24 "Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. " Someone who does not look at their ways and seek to be more the way Jesus said we should be seems to me to be like a guy who wonders why he doesn't win matches but will not leasrn to hit the ball accurately.

Peter puts it this way "Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. " I Peter 1:4-7

Our standing with God depends on Jesus, of course, but we need to cooperate with Him not ignore or oppose how He told us to live. It is Jesus who said in John 14:15 "If ye love me, keep my commandments. " tho the same theme goes back at least to Exodus 20 and forward to at least 1 John 5. In much the same way that a child wants to please a parent he loves or a wife wants to make her husband's favorite dishes and do other things that make him happy we want to please Jesus.

In marriage sometimes it can get to be day in day out as usual, saying I love you sometimes but manly coexisting, tending to the kids maybe, building a business, talking about the broken AC or why don't you pick up your socks, or don't talk to me the game is on, or even that cake was good, but not sharing our hearts. Thinking more about how to just get through the day, the week than about what would bring joy to our husband or wife. I don't want it to be like that with me and Jesus.

What helps yo most in walking closer to Jesus and the way He says He wants us to be?

Last edited by Ann; 08-12-09 at 01:32 PM.

Tags
bible, christian life, falling short, god, holiness, homeless chldren, homelessness, impatience, living for jesus, living in car, sin, sinners, thoughts