ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > Christian Fellowship

Old 09-17-08, 04:03 PM
Administrator

We also need to remember that fear in this case is reverential awe and respect not Yikes He's got a club and He can bash me. We do need to understand that when god says something he means it and there are consequences to violating His word but God wants loving sons and daughters not cowering slaves. One of the most destructive things that can be done to a child is to teach them that there are no consequences for their actions. This is a major soapbox of mine because of lives I saw destroyed in my own family. Yet we want our children (and for that matter our spouses) to do what please us because they love us and want to make us happy not because they fear what we will do to them if they don't. God does too.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 09-19-08, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann View Post
We also need to remember that fear in this case is reverential awe and respect not Yikes He's got a club and He can bash me.
Too often this is the kind of God that is preached on street corners and revival tents. It also is determined by what kind of church you attend. The more charismatic churches focus more on sin than they do on love. Perhaps they've never looked beyond God's hands to His heart.
Old 09-20-08, 01:52 PM
God is so Good

Balance...
When I need gentle love..God provides..
when I need a hatchet over my head ...God provides..

He is faithful ...

Psa 34:8 O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

Support our Troups!!
Old 09-24-08, 02:36 PM

I grew up being taught that God punishes us for our sins; that He curses us (generational curses), and that He leaves us in trials because of our sins. But I'm left wondering if that is the case, then perhaps Jesus' sacrifice wasn't enough. Does God still punish us; or did He punish Christ for us?

I do believe that God allows us to experience the consequences of our sins, but only because He loves us - not because He's punishing us. He allows us to exercise our freedom to control our lives; and when we realize that we can't, He's quick to forgive. But I think that there is more to God leaving us to the consequences of our sins than just to teach us a lesson. Adversity creates strength and it creates faith. By overcoming our challenges, we are able to help others dealing with the same problems, and as a result, God is glorified in our strength.

Tags
bible, charles schultz, dr seuss, evangelism, judgment, love, peanuts, sin, theology