ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > Question of the week

Notices

Old 01-21-16, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Default Emergencies

What does the Bible teach us about emergency preparedness
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 01-27-16, 07:18 PM
ILJ Addict

Without looking into Scripture, I have a sense that we are to trust in God while still being aware of the signs of end of times?
Old 01-27-16, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Question

makes sense. What about "every day emergencies" Snow, ice storms, floods, power grid failure, sickness, job loss etc ?
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

Old 01-27-16, 11:43 PM
ILJ Addict

Are all of those really everyday emergencies or are some a sign of the times?

Re sickness in one of the Catholic books the physician is praised and there's a line something like 'may he who falls ill fall into the care of a doctor'.

Re job loss almsgiving from before job loss would help.

Re everything there is always prayer...
Old 01-28-16, 02:06 AM
Administrator

Yes prayer especially.

I can't agree that every blizzard or flood etc is a sign of the end times. My grandmother who died at 99 in 1966 told me about blizzards etc when she was very young.

I believe we need to be hidden in Christ at all times and recognize that He is our help.

I have heard people say that having food on hand or survival blankets or an non electric heat source is not trusting Christ. What do you think?

Old 01-28-16, 06:30 PM
ILJ Addict

Seems a bit silly. Is looking both ways before you cross the road 'not trusting Christ'?
Old 01-29-16, 06:49 PM
Administrator

exactly tho I suppose it becomes a matter of degree

Old 06-16-16, 06:46 PM

God only does what we cannot do, not those practical things He expects us to do for ourselves,

We live in monsoon country - We have stored 3 weeks of water, and 3 weeks of freeze-dried meals on standby.

We trust God to keep us safe, and thank Him for our provision. Excellence and preparedness honors God. This means if called on, we will be able to also help anyone in dire need of emergency food and water. We don't need to "know the season" when we get daily weather reports.. If the "end" has truly come, no amount of water, food, or shelter will be of any use anyhoo..

Last edited by Rick G.; 06-16-16 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-16-16, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Old 09-06-16, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann View Post
Yes prayer especially.

I can't agree that every blizzard or flood etc is a sign of the end times. My grandmother who died at 99 in 1966 told me about blizzards etc when she was very young.

I believe we need to be hidden in Christ at all times and recognize that He is our help.

I have heard people say that having food on hand or survival blankets or an non electric heat source is not trusting Christ. What do you think?
Remembering the last years in Marion, OH and since Ohio is like a checkerboard, ONE set of roads will become impassable when it snows - either the North/South roads, or the East/West Roads. and if the East/West roads are drifted shut, and you have to GO West, You won't make it. It was about 20 below, and I was in my '65 VW Bus, and I wasn't sure If I would get home (I did by the skin of my teeth), but if I hadn't, I wasn't dressed for survival at 20 below, and didn't have blankets in the Bus, and I became TOTALLY aware, that I WOULD die out there in the unpopulated Ohio farmland, If I couldn't get through.

From that time onward, I Carried a Kerosene Hen House heater, a supply of Kerosene, and Sleeping bags in the Bus in the winter, And NEVER GAVE A THOUGHT about any "Spiritual issues" about doing it. The WISE Virgins didn't have any concern about bring "Extra Oil" - it was the WISE thing to do.

In January of '78 we went to sleep with a typical freezing rain falling, and woke up the next morning in the middle of the "Storm of the Century" with 50 MPH Wind screaming by and well over two feet of Snow already down, -20 degrees, and no end in sight - and no warning. When it was over 50 people were dead, many in cars in the Interstate, who weren't prepared (Like I hadn't been prepared a year earlier).

I remember a report from the fellow who ran the Bulldozer for the Town, rode to the barn on his snowmobile, KNOWING that if the temperature in the Barn was below 10 degrees, the Bulldozer wasn't going to start, but the thermometer inside said +15 degrees, and so HE Fired the 'dozer up to go deal with the mess, but when he looked again at the thermometer a few minutes later, it now said -18 degrees. He called it a Miracle - being a Christian, He concluded that GOD had kept the barn warm for the good of the community - until He didn't need to any longer.

Winters in the Ohio Valley weren't to be taken lightly, and I learned to be Afraid.

Last edited by Bob Carabbio; 09-06-16 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-11-16, 03:43 PM

Like your bulldozer illustration Don't know that I have ever been that cold but we have been 5 days iced in without power and despite being total electric did not freeze tho did spend a lot of time under blankets w cats huddled close they helped keep us war and we helped them.

You might want to take a look at http://caringhandsmin.tripod.com/id17.html an emergency guide we put together yrs ago. Tripod has changed its site builder which both changed the back ground color and made it impossible for us to change text color but if you can deal w the visual the info is good.
Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature Matthew 16:15

Come visit us at http://www.caringhandsministries.com